Zoom blocked this morning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 18:33:30
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20191223 rel.73956

Let me start by saying this is my first product made by TP-Link. I've used devices by many other manufacturers over the last 25-years and this is my favorite.

We had lots of frustation when Zoom failed to connect for my kiddo's class. We had an ISP outage last night, so I presumed it was something related. Basic troubleshooting included restarting my gateway and the router. Still couldn't connect. I thought of downloading the Zoom app again and even the Zoom site didn't load. That's when I realized the issue was going to be the router's parental controls. There was an update made overnight that borked the works.

I popped in via the Tether app to see what I could do to get school going and a glaring revelation occured. There is absolutely no way to whitelist Zoom.us. My only solution to get class going was to disable parental controls entirely. That's not a great solution. Some more granular features to parental controls would be really appreciated.

I'd like to be able to:

Manage a global whitelist that can be applied to individual users (checkbox to allow)

Create my own categories

Manage what sites are included in the baked-in categories (checkbox to allow)

Deselect the baked-in categories if I wanted to

Schedule times to block sites/categories (handy to disable sites during work hours)

A little bit of tweaking to this system would make it awesome.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Zoom blocked this morning
2020-12-02 19:29:23

@Trev427 

HI Trev yes we are having the software team look into this.  What it appears to be is a blocking in the parental controls.  Zoom from what we are told is classified as "Pay to Surf"  if you remove that from the parental control filters that should open the service back up.  We are waiting for information on how and when this occured and if we can resolve it without enabling this pre-set filter. 

Options
2020-12-19 20:41:57

I got the same issue today.  My son was not able to do SAT prep class via zoom.  I had to disable parental control to get it resolved.  

I would like to see more sub categories within TP link parental control, to pick and choose the one appropriate for teen studying in the middle school and high school.

Also it's good idea to have white list, with priority, despite all other blocking setting, and block list with higher priorty, despiste all the white list, ect.  if TP link can do this,  millions of parents will jump and kissing tp link and buy tons of tp link products.  As the most parents, we will do anything good for our kids, including ditching a certain product and go with new brands if needed.

Options
2021-03-01 17:03:30

@Carl 

Any news on a fix for this? I just had it happen this morning after purchasing and installing AX50 over the weekend...

Options
2021-03-01 20:02:59

@crazyrussian 

Nonthing yet for the Archer AX50.  The first patch roll out on the Deco M5 did just get added so there is a chance other HomeCare devices will have it soon.  I requested an update from R and D so I will let you know if I get anything 

Options