AX6000 - Wireless SSIDs not showing on an Inspiron 5559

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-13 05:23:08 - last edited 2020-12-18 02:42:28

Hi,

I am using the AX6000 and am trying to get WiFi on a Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop.

The wireless adapter card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and the laptop supports 802.11ac.

All drivers and Windows 10 are up to date on the laptop. 

No SSIDs from the AX6000 are received by the laptop, be it on 2.4G or 5G.

I have tried guest networks as well, and they cannot be seen either. I also tried changing the SSID names.

The router and modem (bridged) have been reset several times. In fact, I have just changed to a new modem and the issue persists.

What else could be causing this? I had no issues seeing the SSIDs on the laptop with the old Nighthawk R7000 router, and I see all the neighbours' SSIDs.

Could this be something as simple as the AX6000 router and laptop not being compatible? I don't know if I want to go through the expense and trouble of replacing the network card, especially if the issue comes from the router itself.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX6000 - Wireless SSIDs not showing on an Inspiron 5559-Solution
2020-12-18 02:42:22 - last edited 2020-12-18 02:43:24

I swapped the old wireless card with a new WiFi 6 AX200 wireless card. Then I installed the latest AX200 driver from Intel. Windows welcomed me to WiFi 6 and our home networks appeared right away on the Dell.

So for anyone with an older Inspiron having issues... It might be time to upgrade your WiFi card.

Thanks for all the guidance!

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:AX6000 - Wireless SSIDs not showing on an Inspiron 5559
2020-12-13 13:30:45
Can any other devices see the WIFI network? Try deleting (forget) the network on the PC and reestablish it as it is a common problem when the router is changed especially when the same SSID was used. Are you able to connect to the internet via Ethernet thru the router?
Options
2020-12-13 15:25:07

ArcherC8 wrote

Can any other devices see the WIFI network? Try deleting (forget) the network on the PC and reestablish it as it is a common problem when the router is changed especially when the same SSID was used. Are you able to connect to the internet via Ethernet thru the router?

Yes, all others can see it. Works fine over Ethernet with a cable (the laptop has an RJ45 jack).

I don't get any "Managed saved networks" or such option in wireless settings. But even if that had been an issue, the new SSID is different; and even the brand new guest networks cannot be seen. Somehow the AX6000 and the laptop are not communicating with each other.

Options
2020-12-13 16:55:40

Consolamentum wrote

I had no issues seeing the SSIDs on the laptop with the old Nighthawk R7000 router, and I see all the neighbours' SSIDs.

@Consolamentum 

This one sentence IS NOT clear to me?

Are you stating with the Netgear router you saw all SSID's and even neighbor's OR are you stating with the AX6000 you see nothing? Not even neighbor's?

If 'nothing', the problem would be the PC I'd think? If you see the neighbor's SSID's, the router. There is a 'button' that will 'turn-off' the Wifi SSID's, even if set on in the f/w. Check to see if this is the case? Also what is the color of the LED on to, Orange? Then the Wifi button is off.

You can also try Acrylic on W10, and see if that shows any SSID's (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/download-wifi-scanner-windows/) and if it doesn't, clearly your PC is the problem.

Options
2020-12-13 17:17:01

IrvSp wrote

Consolamentum wrote

I had no issues seeing the SSIDs on the laptop with the old Nighthawk R7000 router, and I see all the neighbours' SSIDs.

@Consolamentum 

This one sentence IS NOT clear to me?

Are you stating with the Netgear router you saw all SSID's and even neighbor's OR are you stating with the AX6000 you see nothing? Not even neighbor's?

If 'nothing', the problem would be the PC I'd think? If you see the neighbor's SSID's, the router. There is a 'button' that will 'turn-off' the Wifi SSID's, even if set on in the f/w. Check to see if this is the case? Also what is the color of the LED on to, Orange? Then the Wifi button is off.

You can also try Acrylic on W10, and see if that shows any SSID's (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/download-wifi-scanner-windows/) and if it doesn't, clearly your PC is the problem.

@IrvSp 

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

With the old router (Netgear R7000): I could see all SSIDs on the laptop (ours and the neighbours').

With the new router (AX6000): I see only the neighbours' SSIDs on the laptop, not ours.

Otherwise, all SSIDs appear on our other devices.

I tried the Acrylic software already and it doesn't show our SSIDs on the laptop either.

Options
2020-12-13 17:21:54
IrvSP just reminded me of a laptop had a button to turn WIFI off and on. I just googled and got this - https://bippermedia.com/how-to-turn-on-enable-wireless-for-dell-inspiron/
Options
2020-12-13 22:59:05

Consolamentum wrote

With the new router (AX6000): I see only the neighbours' SSIDs on the laptop, not ours.

Otherwise, all SSIDs appear on our other devices.

I tried the Acrylic software already and it doesn't show our SSIDs on the laptop either.

@Consolamentum 

I'm thinking two things here,

• Security difference
  • SSID frequency difference that that Laptop can't handle.
Options
2020-12-13 23:09:55
You can try different channels and bandwidths but I would suspect something else since it is on both networks.
Options
2020-12-14 01:00:32

@Consolamentum 

At this point I seem to think the problem is in the h/w on the LAPTOP.

First, open DEVICE MANAGER ( use the Windows Key + R and enter devmgmt.msc) and look at the NETWORK card. Does it have any error when you double click on it? No, what I'd try is RIGHT MOUSE button on the device and UNINSTALL the device. The once that is done, click on ACTION in the menu bar and SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES. They SHOULD reinstall the device.

Now test and see if it works.

This would be the same as removing the device from the LAPTOP if it isn't inside the case.

Another thought... The R7000 is AC speed. The AX6000 is AX. Of course this is for the 5Ghz SSID, but that could be a clue here. Some 'older' AX network adapters DO NOT work with all AX routers. Wonder if this is playing into it? First thing I'd do about this as be sure you have the LATEST driver for the adapter, see the Dell site, https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/drivers.

Supposedly this is a Intel 3160/3165/7260/7265 WiFi Driver and the last one is V 21.10.1.1488, A07 from 1/22/2020.

Now Dell sometimes makes changes to match its h/w in drivers, sometimes they do NOT publish the latest, either because the product is no longer sold, has been replaced with an newer version, or has not fully tested the latest release. Might want t check INTEL's site to see if they have a later version too.

Alternatively, while still in DEVICE MANAGER, and you've opened the device, click on the ADVANCED tab, and towards the bottom you'll find WIRELESS MODE. Use the PULLDOWN on the right (probably showing AUTO) and SELECT one that DOESN'T include AX, save and disconnect/reconnect and see if that works.

Options
2020-12-14 01:52:27

IrvSp wrote

@Consolamentum 

At this point I seem to think the problem is in the h/w on the LAPTOP.

First, open DEVICE MANAGER ( use the Windows Key + R and enter devmgmt.msc) and look at the NETWORK card. Does it have any error when you double click on it? No, what I'd try is RIGHT MOUSE button on the device and UNINSTALL the device. The once that is done, click on ACTION in the menu bar and SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES. They SHOULD reinstall the device.

Now test and see if it works.

This would be the same as removing the device from the LAPTOP if it isn't inside the case.

Another thought... The R7000 is AC speed. The AX6000 is AX. Of course this is for the 5Ghz SSID, but that could be a clue here. Some 'older' AX network adapters DO NOT work with all AX routers. Wonder if this is playing into it? First thing I'd do about this as be sure you have the LATEST driver for the adapter, see the Dell site, https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/drivers.

Supposedly this is a Intel 3160/3165/7260/7265 WiFi Driver and the last one is V 21.10.1.1488, A07 from 1/22/2020.

Now Dell sometimes makes changes to match its h/w in drivers, sometimes they do NOT publish the latest, either because the product is no longer sold, has been replaced with an newer version, or has not fully tested the latest release. Might want t check INTEL's site to see if they have a later version too.

Alternatively, while still in DEVICE MANAGER, and you've opened the device, click on the ADVANCED tab, and towards the bottom you'll find WIRELESS MODE. Use the PULLDOWN on the right (probably showing AUTO) and SELECT one that DOESN'T include AX, save and disconnect/reconnect and see if that works.

@IrvSp 

Awesome, thanks for all the tips.

I will give it a try.

If nothing works... Might be time to upgrade to a Wifi 6 adapter on the Dell.

I shall report back

Options
2020-12-14 19:58:15

@Consolamentum 

According to the Dell Spec's the WiFi adapter is NOT AX. If you get an AX you'd need to disable the Wifi built-in on the montherboard.

I guess you could disable AX speed on the router and see what happens too?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2188

Replies: 13