Archer C4000 Setup Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-15 03:51:30 - last edited 2020-12-17 01:17:29
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

hello,

i just tried to set up a brand new Archer C4000 and it was one of the most frustrating experiences i've ever had with a router.  I was able to connect to the web admin panel and get the internet connected (after it failed during the setup process the first 3 times) although my wired mac was grayed out and never could get a connection.  The wireless then worked for 2 of my devices but the third couldn't connect (macbook air) and was totally unresponsive even though it showed it was connected to the network i had set up.  I checked for firmware updates, reset the router, turned everything off and on a bunch of times in succession but nothing worked.  How could my pc show in the admin area but not be able to connect to the internet?  Sorry if this isn't descriptive enough i'd be glad to give more info but i'm at the end of my rope here for tonight.  I was also looking or a number to call but that doesn't look like it's even an option?

thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C4000 Setup Issues (MAC)-Solution
2020-12-17 01:17:23 - last edited 2020-12-17 01:20:04

@ArcherC8 I have solved this, finally!  Posting here to hopefully help someone in the future that might find this thread.  

When i setup my old Airport Extreme my iMac (OS Catalina) and MacBook Air (OS Big Sur) had a DNS assigned in Network Preferences/Advanced of 10.0.x.x and it wasn't grayed out or anything. Again i might be misstating this completely but i believe the router wanted to assign a dns through it's own dns server of 192.168.x.x -

So i simply removed the 10.0.1.x entry by clicking the little minus sign in the network preferences and hit and hit apply - fixed it. I had connected the modem straight to the Mac via ethernet originally and still couldn't get online even though i was assigned an IP.  I think the TP-LINK router was trying to assign a dns server (?) but since the Airport had done that previously it couldn't.  This was also happening without the TP-Link router in place fyi.

Hope that helps and thanks for the replies.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C4000 Setup Issues
2020-12-15 13:01:32
I would try a factory reset, re-enter your set up. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router and good quality Ethernet cables as both can cause strange issues. I suggest you use different SSIDs than previously otherwise you may need to delete (forget) the network and reestablish on the device (happens a lot with Apple devices). Check to see if you have an IP address for the WAN in your settings, If not see post "My new router is not obtaining an IP address from my cable modem". Add and connect devices one at a time, start with only an Ethernet PC attached to the router, get it working then connect/attach the next device. If you still have issues, let us know your your basic setup such as your ISP. modem, what is attached to the router via cable, what lights you see on the router,...
Options
2020-12-15 14:43:14

@ArcherC8 I wil try these suggestions thank you.  Could you tell me what you mean by "Check to see if you have an IP address for the WAN in your settings"?

Options
2020-12-15 21:02:55
I assume in most if not all routers, you can display WAN (wide area network) IP address. WAN is the connection between the modem and the router. When you connect to the internet, the ISP assigns you an IP address. Sometimes the ISP, router, and modem get out of sync which can happen when you change the router or reset it to factory. The address will be displayed as zero.
Options
2020-12-15 23:16:44

@ArcherC8 I can see my wireless network and I can connect to it - the problem now is the Mac that is wired to the router is not connecting to the Internet. 

Options
2020-12-16 15:42:31
On the MAC, go into system Preferences, Network, and Ethernet. See if it show as connected. May need to reset some of the parameters such as DHCP.
Options
2020-12-16 23:03:10

@ArcherC8 yes ethernet is green - mac that is wired has no internet 

Options
Re:Archer C4000 Setup Issues (MAC)-Solution
2020-12-17 01:17:23 - last edited 2020-12-17 01:20:04

@ArcherC8 I have solved this, finally!  Posting here to hopefully help someone in the future that might find this thread.  

When i setup my old Airport Extreme my iMac (OS Catalina) and MacBook Air (OS Big Sur) had a DNS assigned in Network Preferences/Advanced of 10.0.x.x and it wasn't grayed out or anything. Again i might be misstating this completely but i believe the router wanted to assign a dns through it's own dns server of 192.168.x.x -

So i simply removed the 10.0.1.x entry by clicking the little minus sign in the network preferences and hit and hit apply - fixed it. I had connected the modem straight to the Mac via ethernet originally and still couldn't get online even though i was assigned an IP.  I think the TP-LINK router was trying to assign a dns server (?) but since the Airport had done that previously it couldn't.  This was also happening without the TP-Link router in place fyi.

Hope that helps and thanks for the replies.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 888

Replies: 7

Related Articles