"enhanced Home Care security system"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-18 01:44:12
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

(just installed new router AND new to TP-Link)

Box cover, website, adverts, Install Guide all say "TP-Link Home Care powered by TrendMicro".

How does it compare to my current security coverage (Norton 360 Premium)??   Does this have:

1. Anti-virus?

2. Secure VPN?

3. Smart Firewall?

4. Parental Controls?

5. Malware? /Ransomware? /Spyware? /Phising? /Adware? /Real Time Threat Protection?

6. Windows 10 (64 bit)?  /  Android cell phones? (outside house use = like Norton Mobile)?

7. Cyber Threat Protection?

Just want to know if this is FULL house/device security coverage?  Or do I need to keep Norton?

Options
1 Reply
Re:"enhanced Home Care security system"
2020-12-18 12:36:25

@TexasIndian 

Well, I've got an Archer A20 that has Home Care and also Norton 360 active on PC's. I'm keeping Norton AND Home Care.

Why?

A few reasons:

• Home Care protects (as well as it does) everything connected to the web, which includes devices that do not have protection installed, think IoT's.
  • Looking at the HISTORY (Report) on HC, it seems to find things, but so does Norton.
  • When it comes time to PAY for HC, I will drop it.

Again, review the log for Home Care. Wife's iPad (it has no protection installed on it) routinely has some 'advertising' blocked and a game she plays. She hasn't noticed any problems. Same for some e-mails she gets that include some advertising I suspect.

Such as:

Again, she didn't even know it was happening or something didn't work.

However to me, it is questionable that HC is really doing anything. Never get an NOTIFICATIONS of blocking something serious either. No rules can be set and/or no white/black list.

Oh, we've had the router for over a year.

As for your questions:

TexasIndian wrote

How does it compare to my current security coverage (Norton 360 Premium)??    Does this have:

1. Anti-virus?

2. Secure VPN?

3. Smart Firewall?

4. Parental Controls?

5. Malware? /Ransomware? /Spyware? /Phising? /Adware? /Real Time Threat Protection?

6. Windows 10 (64 bit)?  /  Android cell phones? (outside house use = like Norton Mobile)?

7. Cyber Threat Protection?

Just want to know if this is FULL house/device security coverage?  Or do I need to keep Norton?

These are the OPTIONS you can enable:

Basically, that would be 'Anti-Virus', but it also has some SPAM and FIREWALL stuff.

VPN, nope, but it may have on some routers. Mine has a VPN Server.

#4, some routers have that as part of the F/W, some do not.

#5, some as you can see.

#6, this is ROUTER based, has NOTHING to do with the device connected and what it is.

#7, not sure what you actually mean, like RansomWare? Probably not.

You can check here, https://www.tp-link.com/us/homecare/ for some details. Slightly more details, https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/87

Also Google 'tp-link home care reviews'

One thing though, there might be 2 versions, mine was NOT Enhanced that seems possibly to be out. Originally mine was free for 3 years. Now it seems it is FREE...

In any case, I'm not dropping Norton 360... I would if I never had Norton pop-up with either information or it had 'caught' something.

YMMV

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 1

Related Articles