previous connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

previous connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
previous connection
previous connection
2020-12-18 02:03:55 - last edited 2020-12-20 17:50:28
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

(just installed new router + brand new to TP-Link; feel free to speak 'techno-inept')

Want to check/verify current hook-up (done via Tether AND lovely tech assistant on

support chat...replaced Netgear AC1900 - R7000 ...originally installed by cable tech

when first purchased AND was given free modem from ISP (Insight>TWC>Spectrum).

Over the years, I have 'upgraded' cords (3/4/5/now Cat-6) and 'upgraded' modems as

available via ISP.  Always simply 'unplug one/insert new'...ALWAYS same connection.

As nothing was mentioned in video (and chat support said "serves no purpose") have

NOT re-connected the cord from the back of desktop (label says "Ethernet") to router

(was originally plugged into "LAN 1" of the Netgear router).  Should it have been?

Should new AX11000 be 're-connected' like before?  Totally useless?  Then why....??

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:previous connection-Solution
2020-12-20 13:55:32 - last edited 2020-12-20 17:50:28

@TexasIndian 

#2 You can connect Ethernet devices to any of the LAN ports. What you may need to do is on the desktop is to turn off the WIFI, so it does not try to use it. Generally just an little icon on your display that you need to click and make a selection.

#5 If you have no issues using Smart Connect, then it if fine to use. I prefer to have it off, as it allows me to assign different SSIDs for the 5 GHz (faster) and the 2.4 GHz (slower but more distance) networks. Some have reported issues using Smart Connect where the devices they want on one network, is on the other or that sometimes they do not switch to the fast one. !00 is a good speed and will handle a lot of traffic.

#6 - Printers are very low users of bandwidth even when printing continuously so if they are on WIFI that is fine. 

#7 If the kids are fine with the WIFI speed, then I would forgo the Ethernet cables. If they are having issues do to lack of speed, then the option I would chose first is to turn off Smart Connect, Have them use the 5 GHz network and assign most of the other devices to the 2.4 network first to see how that works. Then if they still have issues, then use the Ethernet cables. 

#?? for 100 speed CAT 5 will work but I do not recommend. CAT 5e or CAT 6 both are rated for 1000 speed. I use CAT 6 on my 200 service. 

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:previous connection
2020-12-18 02:21:21
From what I understand, it sounds like you are connecting the desktop via WIFI if the Ethernet cable is unplugged. That will work fine. I prefer to connect via Ethernet when possible as it tends to be more stable, can be faster, and leaves more resources for the other WIFI devices.
Options
2020-12-18 23:25:25

Router sits on desk against wall with modem, monitor, desktop along side;

printer on shelf a mere 4.5 ft across from router (which is why I'm curious

about advantage of attaching a 7-8 ft Cat-6 cord (extra length to thread

along the baseboard).  My question is about how I ORIGINALLY had my 

(old Netgear) router connected (by ISP tech) which was wall cable to back 

of modem, short cord from modem to router, cord from back of desktop (it

is port labelled "Ethernet") which plugged into "LAN 1" of the Nighthawk.

Never paid any attention to HOW it was all connected, as the cable guy

did it.  Became curious when the Tether app install, Install Support chat

NEVER mentioned this last connection...even said it served no purpose.

So I'm asking if you pros/techno-geeks/experts agree this was (and would

be now) a USELESS connection or SHOULD be re-connected..pros/cons?

Options
2020-12-18 23:38:49

appreciate it Archer C8, while I got your attention about my printer.....

while 'hybrid schooling' in my office for a few hours every day, should  

I temporarily plug my Granddaughters Chromebooks into a LAN port?

Options
2020-12-19 01:02:18

@TexasIndian 

Routers can make LAN connections 2 ways, wired and wireless.

Some PC desktops come with both capabilities, some only wired. Many Laptop come with both.

Some routers from Vendor's expect a user to have WIRELESS capability and that is what Tether requires, a wireless connection, in order to setup your router. 'Us' old-fashioned technically capable users know how to get around that and use a common Browser to enter the router and set it up.

Since you are connecting wireless you now have a choice.

1. Stay wireless.
  2. Switch to wired.

I'll assume you somehow knew how to enable wireless or someone talked you into how to do that. I suspect your WIRED Ethernet adapter on the PC is still enabled. If so, you'll need to DISABLE wireless adapter.

Now at this point now, if you are HAPPY with the speed of wireless, I'd just keep that. However, depending on some specifications, you could achieve faster downloads via a wired connection.

• Your ISP provided download speed.
  • The specifications of your wireless adapter.
  • The Router SSID band you are connected to (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band).

For instance, if the wireless adapter (if 'we' knew the PC make and model we could probably figure that out) is N Speed, and your ISP Download speed is 100Mbps, you might not gain much going back to wired. On the otherhand, if the ISP speed it 400Mbps down and if using the N Speed wireless on the 2.4Ghz band, wired would be better.

OK, the above is TECHNICAL, your eyes might rolling, but you can also figure it out another way. Do you 'think' your Internet usage, such as downloads and web page loading is slower than before? If so, you might want to switch back to wired.

EASILY done, for me at least :-)

In Windows, on your keyboard, hold down the Windows Key and then press the letter R. Now in the box that appears, enter 'control' (without the 's). Next find in the list NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER. Click on CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS. Now, you'll need to see which is the WIRELESS DEVICE you are using. Here is what I see:

Yours will probably look different.

I have 2 Wifi devices on the PC, a slow internal one  (Wi-Fi) and a FAST USB one (Wi-Fi 2), which I am not connecting on. I can also connect with the Ethernet if I wish. However, with the USB device I can achive my ISP 400Mbps d/l speed, so I don't need to run a cable on the floor to the router.

The BLACK actually doesn''t say ENABLED, but my SSID I am connected to, I've covered that up.

You should see at least Ethernet and Wi-Fi.

If you want to switch you'll need to do this:

1. Right Mouse Button on the Wi-Fi connect and select DISABLE. You will NOW lose the LAN connection.
  2. Plug in the cable from the PC Ethernet port to one of the 4 ports on the back.
  3. If you did NOT disable the Ethernet Adapter when switching to Wi-Fi before and just disconnected the cable, you will have a LAN connection by now.
  4. If you DID DISABLE the Ethernet Adapter, Right Mouse Button on it and then select ENABLE. That should reconnect you to the LAN (and Internet).

Test to see if you are working, if so DONE!

Not working, remove the Ethernet cable from the router port, Right Mouse Button the the Wi-Fi adapter and press Enable and you should be back on the LAN and Internet.

Let us know if this fixes the wired connection or you decided to stay wireless.

Options
2020-12-19 01:06:38

TexasIndian wrote

appreciate it Archer C8, while I got your attention about my printer.....

while 'hybrid schooling' in my office for a few hours every day, should  

I temporarily plug my Granddaughters Chromebooks into a LAN port?

@TexasIndian 

Printer? What is this about?

You can plug it in or even use Wireless if it has it.

Granddaughter might know more than you do, and would be on the LAN and might even have access to your PC. That is why the Router has GUEST SSID's that can not connect to your PC.  However, that has to be done via wireless.

Now what about your Printer, Make and Model please, and HOW was it connected before? Can you now print to it?

Options
2020-12-19 12:40:46
My thoughts on your granddaughter's laptop is if she is getting enough speed, then stay on WIFI as switching takes a bit of setting changes. Since she is close to the router and if she is on the 5GHz network, she should be getting close to the ISP speeds anyway. I connect my printers using wireless (2.4 GHz) although they both have both wired and wireless option and one is close to the router. I also have a desktop (iMac) near my router and I use the Ethernet (cabled) connection to it. That takes a bit of load off of the WIFI that my other 20+ devices can use and not affected by any WIFI interference.
Options
2020-12-20 06:34:17

WOW!!!   Lots of knowledge, some simple enough even for me, some "HUH??"

so I'll start at the 'top' and work my way down answering questions I understand:

#2 ArcherC8 

OLD router had ethernet cable connected, NOT now, lying on ground unplugged until.....

(moot since sounds as less wireless used, more 'juice' wireless devices get). Where do I

re-attach the cord from "Ethernet" on back of desktop to? Any LAN#? Does it matter? Will

I then need to 'reconfigure'/re-install the router someway? Or is it 'automatic? (idiot-proof)? 

# 5 IrvSp

Currently receive only 100Mbps from our ISP (only availability in this neighborhood) :-((

Set up router to Smart Connect devices (again, 'automatic' is idiot-proof, can't screw it up).

PC is HP Pavilion Elite HPE 500f (with a few upgrade options added at time of purchase).

#6 IrvSp

All 7 grandkids fly effortlessly around cells/Chromebooks, roll their eyes, sigh "oh PawPaw".

HP ENVY Photo 7855 currently NOT connected via Ethernet (will be soon as I buy new cord)

to date has always printed via HP Smart...but if wired adds 'juice' to wireless devices, then....

#7 ArcherC8

Gonna do the same...the possible scenario with ChromebookS (3 granddaughters in house)

wasn't gonna be pretty, 3 Cat cords hanging loose from router, then plugged in WHEN used

in my office. Signal has been fine, much better now since new router install; staying wireless.

#??  EitherOfYou

Is Cat-6 most current cord?  Have Cat-7 or beyond arrived?  Which is most efficient for me?

Can not express my appreciation to you both...and your struggle(s) to speak 'dumbass' for me.

Thank you both

Options
Re:previous connection-Solution
2020-12-20 13:55:32 - last edited 2020-12-20 17:50:28

@TexasIndian 

#2 You can connect Ethernet devices to any of the LAN ports. What you may need to do is on the desktop is to turn off the WIFI, so it does not try to use it. Generally just an little icon on your display that you need to click and make a selection.

#5 If you have no issues using Smart Connect, then it if fine to use. I prefer to have it off, as it allows me to assign different SSIDs for the 5 GHz (faster) and the 2.4 GHz (slower but more distance) networks. Some have reported issues using Smart Connect where the devices they want on one network, is on the other or that sometimes they do not switch to the fast one. !00 is a good speed and will handle a lot of traffic.

#6 - Printers are very low users of bandwidth even when printing continuously so if they are on WIFI that is fine. 

#7 If the kids are fine with the WIFI speed, then I would forgo the Ethernet cables. If they are having issues do to lack of speed, then the option I would chose first is to turn off Smart Connect, Have them use the 5 GHz network and assign most of the other devices to the 2.4 network first to see how that works. Then if they still have issues, then use the Ethernet cables. 

#?? for 100 speed CAT 5 will work but I do not recommend. CAT 5e or CAT 6 both are rated for 1000 speed. I use CAT 6 on my 200 service. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-20 17:50:21
Superb..thanks for succinct answers/knowledge AND specific ideas I can keep referring back to
Options
2020-12-20 18:23:13

Feel free to check my updated status in few days...like y'all have nothing better to do wink

As I sit here now, my (knee-jerk) plan is to utilize my partially-used WalMart gift card

to buy longer Cat-6 to connect printer as described previously; re-connect the Cat-6

cord lying on floor behind desk from "Ethernet" labeled port on desktop to "LAN 1" of

router, assuming which port outta 8 makes no difference? (then I'll simply "disconnect"

the "TP-Link Wireless" icon on task bar?); NOT gonna mess with Chromebooks at all;

DOUBT will do anything with Smart Connect (unless/until notice whatever kinda issues?)

then I'll assign 2.4G to faraway/moving about devices: cells? laptop?  5G-streaming tv's?

If/when I do that, should I reassign teenaged grandkids laptops to solely 5G-2 Gaming??

(bored? check forum(s) for my next questions: tablets, wifi password, RoBlox/Fortnite/etc.)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 908

Replies: 12

Related Articles