TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 not getting good speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-20 01:41:18 - last edited 2020-12-20 21:35:18
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

I upgraded to a gigabit connection. If I hardwire any of the devices to the modem I get a Gig without issue. When I log on 5ghz band I get 100mb dl even if I am right next to the modem. I tried 2 laptops and a desktop and it was all the same. Do I need a different router to get GB download on wifi (or close to a gig)?

I appreciate the help!

Options
15 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 not getting good speed
2020-12-20 14:06:50

@Sportsmen 

First check your Ethernet cables. If they are CAT 5, change them to at least CAT 5e or CAT 6. Be sure your Ethernet cables are in good condition as 100 service uses 4 of the 8 wires and faster service uses all 8. To ensure that the modem or ISP is giving the speed you are paying for, connect a PC direct to the modem bypassing the router. If you are getting the gigabit speed then we need to address the router. If not, then we need to address the ISP, modem, Ethernet cable, and the PC to find the weakest link. Be sure to power cycle the modem, router and PC when making wiring or device changes as sometimes devices will try to work at the previous device speed.

Options
2020-12-20 18:43:50

@ArcherC8 

I am using cat6. When I hardwire to the modem I am getting a GB, so it appears the ISP, and modem are ok!

Options
2020-12-20 20:17:31

@Sportsmen 

Need a bit more info.

Are you getting the fast speed via Ethernet when PC connected to the router?

What type of PC and operating system?

Have you checked the WIFI settings on the PC?

Have you tried other devices?

Are you on the 2.4 or the 5 GHz network?

Are you using a VPN?

Are you using QoS?

Are you using NAT Boost?

Options
2020-12-20 20:45:22 - last edited 2020-12-20 20:58:14

Need a bit more info. Are you getting the fast speed via Ethernet when PC connected to the router? Directly to the modem is the I get full gig

What type of PC and operating system? I have a HP laptop, dell laptop, all running wind 10

Have you checked the WIFI settings on the PC? they seem normal

Have you tried other devices? 2 laptops, tablet, and phone all get about 100 mbs tops on 5ghz

Are you on the 2.4 or the 5 GHz network? 5ghz

Are you using a VPN? no

Are you using QoS? I am not sure what this is. Are you using NAT Boost? I am not sure what this is.

Options
2020-12-21 14:01:28

@Sportsmen 

QoS is Quality of Service which many routers support. NAT Boost is another feature on mant routers. Your may not have them.

What speeds do you get when hardwired to the router (not modem)?

What kind of speeds do you get on the 2.4 network?

Some more things to do:

Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router.

Check the cable that you did not use for the Modem to PC test as they do fail.

If you used the same SSID as used previously, try a different SSID.

Are you using IPv6 and is it working? You should get 10/10 with https://test-ipv6.com/

Be sure you are not using TKIP mode of security for the WIFI security.

If you selected specific channels and widths, try different ones.

I had a Dell many years ago and it had its own network tool that caused issues so disable it if in use (SmartByte?).

Your WIFI hardware on your PCs is the limiting factor or your WIFI drivers need updating.

Reset to factory and re-enter your settings as that has helped some others.

Options
2020-12-21 16:23:14

Sportsmen wrote

What type of PC and operating system? I have a HP laptop, dell laptop, all running wind 10

@Sportsmen 

OK, more data needed.

Laptop alone means nothing to me? What are the MODEL numbers, AND what is the Network Adapter 802.11 Speed capability? That would generally be 'N' or 'AC'.

Secondly, the router has a 1,300Mbps connection capability. You'd be lucky on wireless to get 1/2 that speed, and you must use AC speed adapter on a 5Ghz band, that might need other options turned on as well, like MU-MIMO for instance.

So it is important that the Laptop Network Adapter capabilites are known.

Also, did you FORGET the old NETWORK CONNECTION? Easy to do on W10. Where you see the network connection on the Systray, click on it, disconnect the connection and when you select it again, one of the options is FORGET I recall. FORGET the network and connect again. If that was holding you back it should help get better speed.

Question, how did you connect to the MODEM? Wired? Or does the modem send out a Wireless SSID you could connect to? If WIRED, what do you get when connecting the LAPTOP to the router WIRED? 1Gbps? If so, the problem is clearly in your WIRELESS settings (take a screenshot, cover up the SSID and P/W please) and post it here. Maybe other problems like channel width or even the specific channel that is slowing you down (and I assume you are NOT using Smart Connect?).

Options
2020-12-21 18:02:20

@ArcherC8 

What speeds do you get when hardwired to the router (not modem)? I get 100 DL

What kind of speeds do you get on the 2.4 network?

I get 100 DL

Some more things to do:

Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router. I AM

Check the cable that you did not use for the Modem to PC test as they do fail. I tried different cables and it was the same thing

If you used the same SSID as used previously, try a different SSID. I tried renaming it but no change. 

Are you using IPv6 and is it working? You should get 10/10 with https://test-ipv6.com/

I went to my computer under network settings and it says IPV6 is active. I went to the modem settings and it appears ipv6 is active

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be COMCAST-7922

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6. [more info]

We are sometimes unable to detect Teredo and 6to4 when using HTTPS. [more info]

HTTPS support on this web site is in beta. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Be sure you are not using TKIP mode of security for the WIFI security. I am using WPA2

If you selected specific channels and widths, try different ones. I have it on auto 

I had a Dell many years ago and it had its own network tool that caused issues so disable it if in use (SmartByte?). I did clean windows install an I do not see any issues. 

Your WIFI hardware on your PCs is the limiting factor or your WIFI drivers need updating. Everything is updated.

Options
2020-12-21 18:26:26 - last edited 2020-12-21 18:34:23

Laptop alone means nothing to me? What are the MODEL numbers, AND what is the Network Adapter 802.11 Speed capability? That would generally be 'N' or 'AC'.

Dell Inspiron 7559 N and AC HP 15-ab292nr N and AC

Secondly, the router has a 1,300Mbps connection capability. You'd be lucky on wireless to get 1/2 that speed, and you must use AC speed adapter on a 5Ghz band, that might need other options turned on as well, like MU-MIMO for instance.

Right I was hoping for 600 or so from my new 1 GIG connection. My old speed was 100 when I had a 200 connection.

Also, did you FORGET the old NETWORK CONNECTION? Easy to do on W10. Where you see the network connection on the Systray, click on it, disconnect the connection and when you select it again, one of the options is FORGET I recall. FORGET the network and connect again. If that was holding you back it should help get better speed. I did do this but its still 100 MB

Question, how did you connect to the MODEM? Wired? Or does the modem send out a Wireless SSID you could connect to? If WIRED, what do you get when connecting the LAPTOP to the router WIRED? 1Gbps? If so, the problem is clearly in your WIRELESS settings (take a screenshot, cover up the SSID and P/W please) and post it here. Maybe other problems like channel width or even the specific channel that is slowing you down (and I assume you are NOT using Smart Connect?).

Wired to the modem I get 1 GIG. wired to the router I get 100, wireless to the router I get 100. Which one of the tabs would you like me to post screenshots of?

Options
2020-12-21 21:37:45

@Sportsmen 

Really hard to read your last 2 replies above. Should probably 'quote' the part and reply under it. I use REPLY WITH QUOTE and then reply underneath:

Sportsmen wrote

Dell Inspiron 7559 N and AC HP 15-ab292nr N and AC

OK, as long as you are on the 5Ghz SSID you should have a 1,300 connection as long as the network adapters can connect at that speed. Not ALL AC cards can.

Seems the Dell has an Intel 3165AC card in it. Well, you might never get the speed you want, MAX. for that card is 433Mbps (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-3165-brief.pdf).

That HP, well the spec's for it has the Ethenet @ 10/100Mbps. Yes, the wireless is AC, but a 1x1 card. Can't find the chipset or adapter info though.

Sportsmen wrote

Wired to the modem I get 1 GIG. wired to the router I get 100, wireless to the router I get 100.

Which laptop? One can't as the Dell has only 10/100 Ethernet?

Sportsmen wrote

Which one of the tabs would you like me to post screenshots of?

On the Advanced Tab, Wireless, would look like this (and obscure SSID's and Password's please):

Options
2020-12-21 21:53:29

@Sportsmen 

Your IPv6 answers confusing to me, especially the [more info]?

Sportsmen wrote

I went to my computer under network settings and it says IPV6 is active. I went to the modem settings and it appears ipv6 is active

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be COMCAST-7922

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6. [more info]

We are sometimes unable to detect Teredo and 6to4 when using HTTPS. [more info]

How did you see IPv6 is active? On your PC specificially.

I can tell if I run IPCONFIG /ALL on W10:

===================

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8814AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-3F-5D-14-92-C2
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2603:9001:4801:d5c::xxxx(Preferred)
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 21, 2020 9:53:16 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 9:53:17 AM
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d0b:630b:7630:xxxxxxx(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.166(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 21, 2020 9:53:10 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 4:37:29 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::52d4:f7ff:fe68:3cc4%16
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 612384605
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-04-98-17-F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:4860:4860::8888
                                       2001:4860:4860::8844
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

==================

You see the same?

If you PING an IPv6 site, do you see IPv6 addressing?

===========

C:\>ping www.cnn.com

Pinging turner-tls.map.fastly.net [2a04:4e42::323] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a04:4e42::323: time=19ms
Reply from 2a04:4e42::323: time=20ms
Reply from 2a04:4e42::323: time=19ms
Reply from 2a04:4e42::323: time=20ms

Ping statistics for 2a04:4e42::323:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms

C:\>

==========

Some ISP's, like Charter, will use DOUBLE STACKED IPv4 DNS's to provide the IPv6 addressing, but I am using the public Google IPv6 DNS's set in the router anyway to ensure I get IPv6 addressing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4698

Replies: 15