Wi-Fi password a security issue?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-20 19:42:35 - last edited 2020-12-21 22:29:08
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have grandkids not only living with us, but others visiting often; in regards to 

the grandkids that come visit/then go home, are there ANY security concerns I

should be aware of if they "connected" their cell/tablet/Chromebook to our wifi?

Should their devices be "disconnected" from our wifi before they head home?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wi-Fi password a security issue?-Solution
2020-12-21 17:07:48 - last edited 2020-12-21 22:29:08

TexasIndian wrote

We have grandkids not only living with us, but others visiting often; in regards to 

should be aware of if they "connected" their cell/tablet/Chromebook to our wifi?

@TexasIndian 

If they go out of range from yout SSID, they will be dropped off automatically. If the devices they have are set to AUTO-CONNECT they will automatically reconnect once in range of the SSID.

To stop ANYONE from connecting once they are able to see your SSID's, make sure that some FORM of SECURITY is on and PASSWORK is used. Use something you'll remember, but not easy to guess, like your name, birthdate, house number, etc., or even use the router default.

I'd ALSO suggest enabling the GUEST SSID's and enable security on those and ONLY those SSID's and PASSWORDS are given out. DO NOT allow Guests to see your NETWORK or EACH OTHER (if your router has these options) to keep each one individual and not able to see your shared resources.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi password a security issue?
2020-12-21 02:07:02

@TexasIndian 

the WIFI password should be a strong one. The more characters and different type of characters the better. Upper case, lower case, numbers, and special characters. In order for it to be breached, the other person needs to be in your WIFI range. Changing it from time to time is good. 

Options
Re:Wi-Fi password a security issue?-Solution
2020-12-21 17:07:48 - last edited 2020-12-21 22:29:08

TexasIndian wrote

@TexasIndian 

If they go out of range from yout SSID, they will be dropped off automatically. If the devices they have are set to AUTO-CONNECT they will automatically reconnect once in range of the SSID.

To stop ANYONE from connecting once they are able to see your SSID's, make sure that some FORM of SECURITY is on and PASSWORK is used. Use something you'll remember, but not easy to guess, like your name, birthdate, house number, etc., or even use the router default.

I'd ALSO suggest enabling the GUEST SSID's and enable security on those and ONLY those SSID's and PASSWORDS are given out. DO NOT allow Guests to see your NETWORK or EACH OTHER (if your router has these options) to keep each one individual and not able to see your shared resources.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-21 22:36:47
Thanks (again) IrvSp, I'll double-check to amke certain all their devices are set to "auto-connect"...probably were with previous router, but started all over (wifi password a crazy mix of number/letters/symbols that makes NO sense, hidden at 'secret spot' in case my Oldztimerz kicks in). If/when I get leery (or has issues) with Smart Connect, I'll assign bands individually...use 5Ghz-2 Gaming for the game-crazy kids. Thank you
Options
2020-12-22 18:20:52
Ha, same thing (in teenaged language) my eldest grandson said ending with "Duh PawPaw!!". He's our first grandkid, handsome as Errol Flynn, but he ain't "Beta Tester" LV4 (??) expert...Thanks
Options
2020-12-22 19:06:11

TexasIndian wrote

but he ain't "Beta Tester" LV4 (??) expert...Thanks

@TexasIndian 

That tag mean NOTHING!!! I 'was' a beta tester for one month, and it seems I can't get that tag removed. Don't care now, but during the test I had to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement and I didn't want people 'quizing' me on what I was testing.

LV4, I have no clue how I got it, but I'm sure it has to do with

• Moderator's noticing my posts
  • Number of posts
  • Number of Kudo's
  • Number of Solutions

Basically depending on how the Level was generated, I'll assume by some combination of the above or even just the # of posts, as one passes some pre-detemined point the LV gets bumped up.

Am I an 'expert', well that depends on many factors, prime would be can I help you out and solve your problem, but I may only be an expert to you smiley

I get nothing for this but the pleasure of helping people out...

Options
2020-12-24 00:25:15

Lord help an honest man..or is it Lord help a humble man??

either way, thanks for being either/both...watch for my next query

....with my curious thirst for knowledge and techno-ineptitude, it's

inevitable I'll be posting near-idiotic questions again in the future.

Have a Blessed Holiday Season

Options
2020-12-28 23:18:04
I'll keep looking for your insightful answers to all my idiotic queries (speaking of which, getting ready to type another in my 'techno-inept' series..keep an eye out for it)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 721

Replies: 7

Related Articles