All tplink devices are disconnecting from network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-29 00:29:23

Recently all of my tplink devices, 7 switches, a 6 plug power cord, a 3 plug power cord, two 2 plugs and five single plugs.  Two weeks ago they started disconnecting from the network.  I  reconnected most of them several times, but they keep disconnecting, some have not reconnected within this time frame.  I currently have only the 3 plug power cord, and two single plugs working.  A month ago I bought a nighthawk netgear modem/router.   I have other brand name devices without connecting problems.  Any advice on getting these devices back online?

Options
4 Reply
Re:All tplink devices are disconnecting from network.
2020-12-29 20:06:02

@Rand 

Were there any recent changes to your network beside putting in the new router?  At the time you setup the new router did you use new network credentials or copy the existing ones?  Did you try to change the credentials when the issue began?  Are you using any special features like Smart connect on your network?  Any changes to security or encryption types?

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2020-12-29 20:45:08

@Carl I am not using smart connect.  I have other brand devices, light bulbs, echo speakers, and plugs but they are working. I have two tplink re450 but only one connected at this time.  That one had several devices connected but most are now disconnected.

Options
2020-12-29 20:56:44

@Rand The disconnected devices all appear to be tplink.  Not sure if there is a reason.   As you can see I have a lot of tplink devices.  I had them all connected last night.   Some are very close to RE450 and they were connected to the extender but most are no longer connected.  I do have some tplink switches and plugs still connected at this time.
My echo speakers are all connected to my router and are working, I have several smart light bulbs and a few other brand name plugs that are still working.

Options
2020-12-30 17:22:06

@Rand 

Did you reuse your old network credentials when switching to the new router.  While in most cases that shouldn't be a problem at times it can be and the devices will need to be reconfigured.  I personally had to do this when switching from one of our older routers to a new one.  Even though my SSID and Password were the same all of my Kasa Devices 5 bulbs, 2 cameras and 1 switch needed to be factory reset and reconfigured to connect to the network again.  You mentioned you reconnected them but was it by factory resetting and reconfiguring?  Also prior to the devices disconnecting did you make any changes to the network like enable a different encryption like WPA3? 

Another possiblity is that most people don't know this but a network has limits of how many devices can connect to a band.  This is outside the subnet or DHCP pool limits.  For TP-Link its is in most cases 32 or 64 devices per band.  I don't know what Netgear's are but since we all use similar chipsets to control our routers its likely around the same.  You can try to enable your guest network and put the Kasa devices there and see if they are stable.  If so that is likely what the case was. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 552

Replies: 4

Related Articles