Ring Devices and IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ring Devices and IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ring Devices and IPv6
Ring Devices and IPv6
2021-01-01 14:39:17
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So just to give you a bit of a update. I'm in a standard 3 bedroom house, on virgin 3.0hub at 350mbs. I have 14 connected devices and I believe 9-11 of them are WiFi devices, so it's not overhauled at all. 

To me so far out of all the other mesh systems, this is by far the one that has worked the best for me. It does what is meant to, deliveries speed, strength and no dips in service!

Although I have noticed the 'offline' devices will normally hold two of my Ring products there, that being the Ring Doorbell 3 Plus and a stick up battery camera. Now on the Ring dashboard the other two devices will update straight away, as there power is always on, one is hardwired in and the other one is PoE. Sometimes the battery ones will update but this is like 2/10 times, is there anyway I can change this with the app/mesh system? Would it be best if I connected these to the chime pro as that does appear to always be connected. 

Also to note I have made the two devices priority devices on the Deco app

Also I turned on IPv6 is this a requirement to be on in general? Not overly sure what it is to be honest. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Ring Devices and IPv6
2021-01-03 20:17:37

@Blujelly 

Generally, it is the devices that determines when to check for updates. I would assume the battery devices may not check all that often as it would decrease battery life.

IPv6 is addressing between you and your ISP sort of like a phone number between you and your phone company. IPv4 addresses are running out of combination of addresses to use. IPv6 corrects that. If you go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ it will show both of your addresses if active.

Options
2021-01-03 20:23:28

@ArcherC8 

so I assume there isn't anything I can really do in terms of these 'offline' devices? As I never had this problem on the VM 3.0 hub?

it's only showing an IPv4 as it's saying v6 isn't detected. Shall I just turn IPv6 off?

Options
2021-01-03 20:37:59

@Blujelly 

1) I would check with the device's website/forum to see if there is a solution.

2) IPv6 can be faster, so I have it turned on. I had to try several different setting combinations and power cycles on my router to get it to work. I use the website https://test-ipv6.com/  to check my connection and I get a 10/10.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2274

Replies: 3