Some devices struggle to access Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-04 19:25:05
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 170303 Rel.59897n

I have a smart thermostat, a wireless printer, and a mixed bag of Windows laptops, Android phones and Raspberry Pis.

2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi are running, on the same SSID and password.

One of the phones, the smart thermostat and the printer are failing to connect to the router despite having the correct details.

I've been through the management page and can't find any setting that would bar these devices from connecting. Location doesn't matter - the phone can be in a place that other devices connect fine, or next to the router, or... and still won't connect. (Obviously the thermostat is less mobile, but was fine on the ISP-provided previous router).

Is there anything I should be looking at to fix this, or do I need to give up and buy a different router?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Some devices struggle to access Wifi
2021-01-04 22:01:21

@gfw 

I would test by making the 5G name different. Even if a device is only capable of 2.4G something may be happening related to that. 

Other things you can try is to modify the version or encryption in the wireless settings of the router then seeing if the devices are able to connect. (Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings). 

Options
2021-01-05 22:23:59

@Tony Thanks for the reply. Separating 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs has made no difference, but I'll try changing some other details and see if anything helps.

Options
2021-01-11 19:32:06

@gfw Can now confirm:

Restarting the router and the devices with separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs temporarily gives all devices access to the network.

Changing settings makes no difference.

I refuse to reboot the router and every device attached to it every ~2-3 days, and one of the devices affected is my thermostat so I can't just ignore it in mid-winter. I'm going for a different router from a different manufacturer, and I'll be seeing if I can offload this janky piece of kit on eBay or wherever.

Options
2021-01-12 13:40:51

@gfw 

I agree you should not have to reboot every few days.

One thing that we see is when a new router is installed and especially with the same SSID and password, devices may not connect or have other connection issues. On the device that has the issue, deleting (forget) the network and re-establishing it clears the issue. Also be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router.

Options