Packets being lost on gateway, WiFi dropping internet.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-18 16:19:34 - last edited 2021-01-20 01:09:11
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 201022 Rel.53112n(4555)

I lose packets when I ping my router, it wasn't happening before (cabled connection).

My android devices connected to the wifi randomly lose internet connection, even though my cabled connection worked fine.

I tried everything from updating lan card drivers to disabling all firewalls and wifi security in order to get a solid connection. This is a new phenomenon, and while I would love to blame the ISP for a poor service, I first have to be sure that it isn't the router that is failing. It shouldn't, I bought it 3 months ago, but the fact that pinging 192.168.0.1 returns a 42% packet loss is not very inspiring. The diagnostics tool in the Systems tab of the routers UI just hangs and doesn't do anything when I press Start on the ping, so I can only do it through my PC/Phone/Tablet

Ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Packets being lost on gateway, WiFi dropping internet.-Solution
2021-01-20 00:45:03 - last edited 2021-01-20 01:09:11
You can try turning QoS off and see. Also be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router, try a different Ethernet cable, firmware is up to date, if you have Nat Boost option try changing it, disconnect all the other Ethernet devices and USB devices if any, try a different Ethernet port for the PC. I like to power cycle when making changes to the router settings.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Packets being lost on gateway, WiFi dropping internet.
2021-01-19 14:30:06

@Kensei 

Have you tried to bypass the router and connect direct a PC to the modem and see if you have packet loss?

Options
2021-01-19 16:42:47

@ArcherC8 

No modem. WAN into Archer into PC. All cable.

Options
2021-01-19 17:57:04

@Kensei 

Instead of pluging the WAN cable into the router, plug it into your PC. power cycle and test.

Options
2021-01-19 22:17:28

@ArcherC8 

Did that, no loss on packets.

Could the QoS be the cause? It feels like the router sometimes just hangs. SysLog says dhcp keeps sending ack request to reserved IPs, but after I disabled it the log is empty bof anything.

Options
2021-01-20 00:45:00
You can try turning QoS off and see. Also be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router, try a different Ethernet cable, firmware is up to date, if you have Nat Boost option try changing it, disconnect all the other Ethernet devices and USB devices if any, try a different Ethernet port for the PC. I like to power cycle when making changes to the router settings.
Options
Re:Packets being lost on gateway, WiFi dropping internet.-Solution
2021-01-20 00:45:03 - last edited 2021-01-20 01:09:11
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-20 01:12:22
Yeah it was the QoS. I have no idea what the issue would have been, I've never lost packets pinging local gateway from a high priority point. I'm guessing some kind of conflict with NAT Boost or a weird mismatch between my LAN card's QoS protocols and the ones on the router, if that's even a thing. It's a pity since now I'll just have to pray NAT Boost is enough to prevent bottlenecks. Regardless, problem solved. I also found out that the static local IP assignment with the DHCP server creates a lot of problems for some devices to maintain connection, even at low beacon times. Tons of ACK requests being generated every 5 minutes and kills internet access on the WiFi.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 574

Replies: 7