Channel Auto-Selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Channel Auto-Selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Channel Auto-Selection
Channel Auto-Selection
2021-01-18 21:10:36
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I find that my router seems to do a better job at selecting channels than I do.  Speed tests seem slower when I manually select 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels.  But when I let the router determine the best channel, speed and stability improves.   Sometimes throughout the day, the router will switch channels.  I'm assuming it 'hears' noise and moves.  It all appears to be working as designed.

But the problem is that on the 2.4Ghz channels, my router frequently selects overlapping channels like 4 or 8.  In the past, I've always stuck with 1, 6, & 11 when I set them manually to avoid overlapping. 

Is the router choosing overlapping channels on 2.4 because OFDMA sorts out interference more efficiently?  Is it choosing those channels because the closest houses are over 100' away?  Or could it be because my router is in the basement and it cannot 'see' the signals from other routers?  I'm also using OneMesh with a RE505X upstairs which is working flawlessly.

Just a question because all my devices are working fine with good speeds, but I'm trying to be a good neighbor.

Thanks in advance.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Channel Auto-Selection
2021-01-19 14:19:34

@OneidaLake 

The router in most cases will do a better job than you at selecting channels because it can switch if it finds interference on the current channel. I would use a specific channel only if it was needed for performance such as an area with a lot of WIFI traffic. Other things can affect the WIFI signal besides other WIFI so that may be why it is changing channels. As for being a good neighbor, if you do not see their WIFI, most likely they do not see your WIFI signal, hence you are not interfering with their WIFI. I would recommend you leave it on auto.

Options
2021-01-19 22:38:54 - last edited 2021-01-19 22:40:04

@ArcherC8 

Thank you for this.  From my laptop, using a WiFi Analyzer, I can see anywhere from 25-35 WiFi networks on the 2.4Ghz band, depending on conditions.  That was what I meant when I said I want to be a good neighbor.   The AX1800 seems to be doing a good job at finding the right channel for my network, but I want to make sure I'm not affecting others.  One thing I have done is to set my signal strength to medium on both the AX1800 and the RE505X.  I'm assuming most people don't have this option and are running at full power, which is probably why I can see their networks.  At medium, I have perfect signal strength all over the house.  I tried the lowest setting, but with that, the communication between the AX1800 and the RE505x was dropping out.  

I'll run it as-is with the hopes I'm not stepping on anyone else.  The only reason I'm using the 2.4Ghz is that many smart-home devices still use that band. All 10 of my smart-home devices use 2.4Ghz.  Otherwise, I would only be using 5Ghz.  I can only assume that most people are using 5Ghz for their bandwidth intensive devices which would not be affected by any 2.4Ghz interference.

Do you think that OFDMA does a better job at sorting out the 'noise'?  Is that possibly why my router is selecting overlapping channels?

Thanks again!

Options
2021-01-20 00:55:52
I do not know but it is possible. Some of the other routers could be using the non overlapping channels which is why your router found the overlapping channels less crowded.
Options
2021-01-20 02:15:05 - last edited 2021-01-20 02:17:14

@ArcherC8 

Yes, I did notice that others are using overlapping channels and I know they are set to auto because their channels keep changing too.

Thanks for the talk.  Always nice to bounce ideas back and forth.

Have a great week!

Options