Archer 7 set up correctly, but after disconnecting it, moving it, I can no longer log in

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer 7 set up correctly, but after disconnecting it, moving it, I can no longer log in

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-21 01:46:55 - last edited 2021-01-27 23:25:37
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Brand new unit.  Followed the instructions, using a hard wire.  I was able to set up the unit.  Created the log in password.  After seeing the "congratulations, you're connected to the internet, I logged out, then back in, to make sure everything was okay.  It was.  Then, I made changes to the unit.  I gave it a different IP address (192.168.0.2).  Saved it. Still fine.

Then, I disabled the DHCP because I am using this as an extender in my home network.  Saved that. Logged out, then back in (successfully).

Powered down the router.  Moved it to the location, and connected cat5 to one of the 4 ports (not the WAN).  Powered it up.  I see the power light, the wireless signal (steady) and the hard wire connection lit up.

However, on my computer, I open a browser, type in the IP address, and it will not open.  It times out.  Restart the computer, open a browser, repeat the process.  Nothing has changed.  I tried pinging the router through the cmd prompt, and it didn't find it.

I have two other routers (not TP) that I can type in the IP address and they open instantly.

That's the extent of my meager knowledge.  I'm stumped.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer 7 set up correctly, but after disconnecting it, moving it, I can no longer log in-Solution
2021-01-27 00:07:40 - last edited 2021-01-27 23:25:37

@captainkirk 

When doing either configuration, yes, you would disable DHCP. With respect to the IP, you would set that outside of your current DHCP pool. So say your router gives out IP addresses of 192.168.0.100 ~ 200. Then you would set those devices (WDS or AP Mode) to have an IP of 192.168.0.20 or 192.168.0.30 or 192.168.0.50, any number outside of your regular pool of numbers.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer 7 set up correctly, but after disconnecting it, moving it, I can no longer log in
2021-01-21 12:28:45

@captainkirk 

Generally I power cycle after router changes because I was bit in the past after a power failure where I lost connectivity.

In your case, I would think reboot would be enough. You should try clearing the history, and cookies in your browser or try a different browser as that has been know to cause an issue to sign on to the router's UI.

Options
Re:Archer 7 set up correctly, but after disconnecting it, moving it, I can no longer log in
2021-01-21 14:30:04

@ArcherC8 I have cleared the browsing history and cache.  I've tried 3 different browsers.  All give the same result.  Nothing.

I reset the router, then unplugged a cord from my main router (the one that goes to the computer), plugged it into one of the LAN ports.

I opened a browser and typed in 192.168.0.1.  It opened a page where I could set up the router.  I just used the quick set up, set the time zone, then clicked through the various steps, changing nothing on the dynamic IP setting (my ISP is dynamic), nothing on the clone MAC, then clicked save.

It said that it failed.

This is something I don't understand, either.  I've done this with other routers (Linksys) and they always are successful.

I'm still stumped.

Options
2021-01-21 18:40:57
I do not understand either. Maybe Tony or Carl can give some input.
Options
2021-01-21 21:33:35

@ArcherC8 Another thing I should mention.  I can't access the router.  Typing in the IP address in a browser times out.

If I ping it, it fails to locate it.

Yet, on my phone, I can see the router's name, and it provides wi-fi.

I wish I understood more of what I'm doing.

Options
2021-01-22 19:00:09

@captainkirk 

If you are going to run an Ethernet cable from your main router to the A7, then follow this guide: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2066/

If you want the A7 to connect to your router only using WiFi, no cable, then follow this guide: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1555/

Options
2021-01-23 14:14:55

@Tony, thanks.

Should I turn the DHCP server off?  When I see the page, it says auto, and the IP address is set to 192.168.0.254.  If I set up another unit, will it have the same IP address?

Thanks again for you help.

Options
Re:Archer 7 set up correctly, but after disconnecting it, moving it, I can no longer log in-Solution
2021-01-27 00:07:40 - last edited 2021-01-27 23:25:37

@captainkirk 

When doing either configuration, yes, you would disable DHCP. With respect to the IP, you would set that outside of your current DHCP pool. So say your router gives out IP addresses of 192.168.0.100 ~ 200. Then you would set those devices (WDS or AP Mode) to have an IP of 192.168.0.20 or 192.168.0.30 or 192.168.0.50, any number outside of your regular pool of numbers.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 621

Replies: 7

Related Articles