TL-WR841N transmit power

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR841N transmit power

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-WR841N transmit power
TL-WR841N transmit power
2021-01-23 21:58:08
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version:

What is the maximum transmit power with out the < or > signs? The manual says low medium or high.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-WR841N transmit power
2021-01-25 13:05:27
It would be the max allowed by the country for each frequency. In the US it would be controlled by the FFC max. See https://www.air802.com/fcc-rules-and-regulations.html
Options
2021-01-25 22:12:18

@MiniMike 

Max transmit power is 20 dBm.

Options
2021-01-25 22:34:08
Archer: Thanks for your reply. Here is what I am trying to achieve: I have a vacation house on a lake and across the lake someone has Xfinity with the public hotspot turned on. I have Xfinity access at home so I can legally connect to the internet with my password using that signal. I am connecting to it now with a 2.4 21DB dish and a ordinary Wifi card in my desktop. The signal fades in and out and it is worse when leaves are on the trees. I want to provide access to my guests as well using their laptops Plus I need a little more power. Every time I post something on a forum I get attacked and told what I have working won't work and what I want to do is illegal. I don't understand the hostility for asking a question. I understand that I need a WISP mode router. For simplicity sake I only want a little more power, 2.4 and not dual band. 1000mw max if possible. I can always dial it back. This is in the mountains and not in the suburbs or city. I see on the tp link site https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/tl-wr841n_v14/chapter-2-connect-to-the-internet#ug-sub-title-2 shows the configuration I am looking for except I want to use my dish with a short coax for one antenna. And maybe run a ethernet cable to my desktop. I have a version 9 TL-WR841N which does not support WISP. I was thinking of getting one with a higher version but I am unsure of the transmit power. I cannot grasp the descriptions of WISP vs repeater vs relay vs signal booster and they vary from site to site. Therefore I am asking for advice about which router and how to achieve what I want. If you are interested I can tell you about the TV antenna I built that receives a picture from 50 miles away over a thousand foot mountain using info from a forum. Mikey
Options
2021-01-25 22:54:37
Most routers will transmit at max or have an option to adjust the power. None will or should exceed the FCC max in the US as that can cause issues.
Options
2021-01-26 13:03:24
I suggest you try a router with beamforming such as the AX11000. A Wisp or extender will not do you much good unless it can be placed where you can get a good signal to and from the router and your devices.
Options
2021-01-31 13:19:05

@MiniMike 

A few other thoughts.

Consider contacting Xfinity to see if they have a special program as I am sure others have the same problem. Such as:

- A special price for a vacation home for existing users.

- Set up Xfinity in your lake home and you can switch between both based on where you are (they advertise that you can switch their service online in five minutes).

- That they add a Xfinity hot spot nearby (might help if several of your neighbors have the same issue).

- Offer to host a hot spot (you supply the place and power and they the equipment and service),

Post on the Xfinity forum as there may be other with the same issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1223

Replies: 6

Related Articles