Archer C9 Router slow speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-23 22:44:55
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1 Build 20210107 Rel. 55552

I upgraded to gigablast internet through cox cable and my speed went up from around 30mbps downloads to 70ish.  Seems way to slow still.  Is this router the problem.  It should be able to produce speeds much better than this based on the specs I think.  I'm not very network savy so I'm looking to help my wife with her zooming for distance teaching.  Thanks.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C9 Router slow speeds
2021-01-24 00:00:44

@mrvaudo 

Well, immediately there are two things to look at and try:

1. Check QoS on the router to see if it is set to slower speed.
  2. Either FORGET or DELETE the NETWORK connection and renew the connection, might help if some data about the old one was retained.

You didn't mention some data points though, old ISP speed, new ISP speed, and device that is having the problem and its network card capability and how connected, wired or wireless, and wireless, what SSID Band are you on. Some of these would help understanding or even explaining possibly the issue.

Options
2021-01-24 00:28:02

@IrvSp I upgraded the firmware so the modem reset.  which i assume accomplishes the same thing as the forgetting network.  QoS is off because NAT boost is on.

Old speed was 150 and I upgraded to 1000.  Device I'm speed checking is my computer and i just ran it on my iphone using the wifi network.  both are getting about 75 down and 30 upload.  both are run wirelessly.  the router is running both 2.4 and 5 if that's what you mean for SSID band.  Channel and channel width are both set to auto on both bands.

thanks

Options
2021-01-24 00:48:21

@mrvaudo 

Since you upgrade the router f/w which I assume you meant to say, that doesn't change anything on the attached devices. Changing speeds as well you sometimes need to reset the devices as well, and that means creating NEW connections. Forgetting the old one.

What I wanted to know was the information on how the devices with the 'slow' speed were connecting to the router. SSID band is important. Hard to get over 300Mbps on a 2.4Ghz band (unless your router and device supports 450Mbps connections).

Even then, you can be limited on the 5Ghz band due to the network adapter speed. N speed devices might only get you maybe 500Mbps. AC devices will possibly reach 1Gbps.

So the band connected to and with what the device and network adapter is helps understand more about the problem.

Also, how did you test to arrive at these figures?

Options
2021-02-05 12:05:41

@mrvaudo

I have similar observation/problem.

Archer C9 v5 latest firmware ( 2019-04-15 )
~46Mbps on 5G and about 120Mbps on 2.4G
At the same time working smoothly when connected to Archer via UTP cable.

Tested with a few different laptops with wifi cards (Intel N, AC and AX) - always the same results. Unfortunately all PCs running Win 10.

I tried many different settings (channel auto/static + channel width 80Mhz). There are no major radio noises in my home/surrounding.

It looks to me like kernel/wifi driver or Broadcom firmware on Archer problem but have no clue how to check that.

eth2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.93 (r469350 WLTEST) (Compiled in . at 11:26:31 on Nov 10 2020)

Of course all tests were repeated on factory default setup.

Does anyone have an idea how to debug it?

Options
2021-02-05 15:35:50

@brsvus 

I'd try 3 things as a test to rule them out:

1. Disable SECURITY, some devices can't handle all. That means none at all, no password or anything but the SSID.
  2. Change the SSID to something short. This will force a new Network Connection and its data.
  3. Disable Firewall and Anti-virus s/w.

See if any of those fix it. If not, restore everything.

I'd post into the PC Vendor's forum for help as well. Could be PC model specific (or contact thier support).

Options
2021-05-20 18:11:07

@mrvaudo  did you ever get this fix, SAME issue, same ISP provider! Low speedss which are severly degraded

Options
2021-05-20 18:17:01

@IrvSp Whadda mean? You trying to blame the low download speed on people devices? Gimme a break? We are talking 120 download speed? Compared to a 500mbps? No one is asking is 1000mbps... We just want close to want we paid for.

Clearly this is a brand issue across the board, I only had to google to find that multiple TPLINK's are

having the same firmware issue! 

Options
2021-05-20 19:38:58 - last edited 2021-05-20 19:39:19

@cdh1492 

I do NOT like your accusing tone!

First line, I said this, " I'd try 3 things as a test to rule them out: "

RULE OUT, make sure those items are not causing a problem.

cdh1492 wrote

@IrvSp Whadda mean? You trying to blame the low download speed on people devices? Gimme a break?

Where is I 'blame' any device?

cdh1492 wrote

Clearly this is a brand issue across the board, I only had to google to find that multiple TPLINK's are

having the same firmware issue! 

So why doesn't EVERYONE have this issue if it is across the board?

Seems you are over reacting here... everyone, across the brand?

There could be other reasons too, depending on what was used before. Not properly power cycling modem and router, need to forget a network on a device.

Please note my reply was over 3 months ago. You may or may not get a reply, but either the person solved the problem or got another router. Suggest you wait to see if you get a reply before insulting people!!!

Options