How to safely disconnect usb share drive?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-24 18:09:00
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200714 rel.30791(4555)

I'm trying to disconnect my USB drive but when I do it becomes invisible to my laptop.

I unshared all shared directories, disabled authentication, removed the drive in TP-Link router app and then disconnected the drive form the router.
Plugging the drive in the laptop does nothing. When I reconnect it to the router it's recognized again.

I can only find information on how to connect a drive, but not how to properly discinnect it.
So my question is... 

How do I safely disconnect my USB drive so it will become accessible to my laptop again?

Thanks!
Pieter

Options
7 Reply
Re:How to safely disconnect usb share drive?
2021-01-24 18:28:13

@pieterrrr 

I think you need to LOGON to the router using a BROWSER. Then on the USB tab and the USB Storage Device tab on the side click on REMOVE... that should do it.

Sounds like the OS might be part of the problem too? It is holding the drive at the SHARED letter it seems, but that could be because you can't 'remove' it as the Router is still thinking it is there.

Options
2021-01-24 18:44:10

@IrvSp 

What you describe is exactly what I did...

The router doesn't list the drive anymore and I cant find the drive anywhere when connecting it to my laptop. 
It sort of looks like the router just strips all the data that the drive needs to be recognized and connect my windows laptop.

It's a bit of a crap situation because I have a useless drive now, full of data I can reach in any other way than through the router share :( 

Options
2021-01-25 00:10:28
What format is the drive? Try a different computer. Also copy the data from the drive attached to the router to a drive attached to the computer. After you have a good copy, you can format the drive.
Options
2021-01-25 10:35:42

pieterrrr wrote

@IrvSp 

What you describe is exactly what I did...

The router doesn't list the drive anymore and I cant find the drive anywhere when connecting it to my laptop. 
It sort of looks like the router just strips all the data that the drive needs to be recognized and connect my windows laptop.

It's a bit of a crap situation because I have a useless drive now, full of data I can reach in any other way than through the router share :( 

@pieterrrr 

I have to ask, but has the drive EVER been connected to the laptop running Windows before?

Does the drive show in DEVICE MANAGER (open a CMD Prompt and enter devmgmt.msc and under Disk Drives)?

Does the drive show in DISK MANAGEMENT (open a CMD Prompt and enter diskmgmt.msc)? If you see the disk, it should have a drive letter in parentheses, does it? No letter, need to assign a drive letter to see it.

Does anything else work in the Laptop USB port, flash drive, another external drive, mouse, web cam, etc.?

USB drives are usually 'hot pluggable' and Windows should recognize it When it does you should see a popup on the lower right stating the device is being prepared for us, did you see that?

Last thing, especially on a Laptop, Windows can and will power down USB ports to save power. The reason I asked about other items plugged into the port. In Device Manager you can look at each USB entry and see first if you see a 'Mass Storage Device' listed and open it and check the POWER tab, make sure it is set to off for allowing Windows to turn off to save power. Actually might want to check all and possibly turn that option off, reboot with the drive in and see if you can see it?

Options
2021-01-25 12:47:12

Thanks for all the help people!
I managed to get the drive working on a different laptop!

It just instantly recognized it.

Still no trace of it when connected it to the original machine, which is weird. Never had issues like ths before and all other drives connect fine.
Something to figure out on a later day... at least I can access the drive now :)

Options
2021-01-25 15:45:46

pieterrrr wrote

Something to figure out on a later day... at least I can access the drive now :)

@pieterrrr 

I'd be looking into the drive itself. The FORMAT as a starter, especially if the other device it works on is NOT W10. Also the SIZE of the drive could be a problem, too large maybe?

Again, verify the PORT on the Laptop is working or damaged, use another drive or flash/thumb drive to test.

Options
2021-01-25 15:53:31

@IrvSp 

Backing up the data now so I can do a format later. 

Laptop porst seem to be fine so curious what will happen after the disk is formatted. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1787

Replies: 7