TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) Power Adapter Too Short

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-05 20:14:51
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Latest

I just purchased via Amazon your TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) and the power adapter cord is only about 4’ long which doesn’t help if I’m placing it on top of a cabinet.  I need it to be at least 6’ long. The NetGear router that I’m replacing has a 6’ long cord and does my AT&T Micro-Cell that I retired but, they are not compatible with this TP-Link router. When I inquired wit TP Link Customer Service they advised that I would need Yi purchase a longer 3rd Party power adapter. Smh ... :/

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) Power Adapter Too Short
2021-02-07 11:41:57

@TZIEL 

Several options short of moving the router:

1) get a third party adapter with a longer cord with the same specs (voltage and amps)

2) get a standard extension cord or power strip (in the US, 120v AC power cord or power strip) 

3) get a 12v DC extension that has  a male and female plug the same as the router.

4) cut the cord and and add a section of wire (use solder or crimp connectors and be sure to keep the polarity correct as getting it wrong may destroy the router).

5) if you do not have a UPS, consider getting one as that would serve as an extension, protect your equipment, and have backup power. I use a UPS and plug my modem, router, phone system, and security system into it.

Options
2021-02-07 13:24:23 - last edited 2021-02-07 13:25:15

@ArcherC8 Thanks so much! My point is that TP-Link should make at least a 6' long power adapter cable as does the majority of other manufacturers of similar devices.

Options
2021-02-07 17:00:52

@TZIEL 

I understand that some like longer cables and others like shorter cables.

I guess I am in the other camp as I like shorter power cables as my UPS is in a cabinet right below the router, modem,... That makes for a lot less tangle of wires when you add Ethernet, USB, phone, and power cables.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 659

Replies: 3