Connection issues with Archer A7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-06 05:17:40
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've had connection issues with Archer A7 I purchased 5 months ago, I first thought it was my ISP that had the issue, they send technicians twice and told me it's a WiFi router problem because all the lights were green and steady and my internet would drop for 10-15 minutes at a time, it's such a headache when you're working from home. 

I contacted support to claim warranty and they just keep asking me to upgrade the firmware, even if I say I have the latest one and no upgrades are available, they ask me to change a few setting and observe how things are and when the problem continues and I contact them again, the same cycle repeats, has anyone had this? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Connection issues with Archer A7
2021-02-06 13:00:35

@Abhinaya 

A few questions to better help you:

Do you do anything to restore the service?

Is both the WIFI and Ethernet connections affected?

What are the lights on both the Modem and the router when working correctly and when the failure occurs?

What firmware are you on as there was firmware released 01/29/21? See https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a7/#Firmware

Are you using a VPN?

How often does it occur and is it about the same time when it happens?

Options
2021-03-10 04:38:05

@ArcherC8 

I'm having this issue too. I purchased the A7 and RE 220 last week to replace my old Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express. My prior setup had no connection drop issues - it was just slower data transfer.

My Setup:

• Spectrum Internet Ultra with their Motorola E31U2V1 modem.
  • Archer A7 connected to modem.
  • Ethernet connections to my desktop computer, to Apple TV, and to RE220.
  • RE220 is in Access Point mode. It has a different SSID from the A7.
  • I updated the firmware upon setup; A7 is 1.1.2 Build 20210125 rel.39623. RE220 is 1.0.3 Build 20201022 Rel. 66896.

Connection appears to drop several times a day. I see no pattern to occurrence. Web pages hang and won't load. Email wont send. Zoom calls freeze. This lasts several minutes and then eventually clears up on its own. So far, nothing I do to my laptop has any impact on restoring service. (Apple TV seems unaffected. Maybe it's buffered.).

This happens whether computer is on Archer A7 WIFI or Ethernet. It also happens to devices connected to the RE220 WIFI.

All lights on modem and router remain correct (Archer A7 lights remain green) during this condition.

I'm not using a VPN.

Can you make any suggestions to troubleshoot or repair this issue?

Options
2021-03-10 16:12:48

@eguttman 

Since it happens on both the router and the extender, I would focus more on the ISP. modem, router, and cables.

Some things to try:

• Check to see if you have any codes on the modem.
  • Be sure you have the latest firmware installed on the router.
  • Be sure you are using the power adaper that came with the router.
  • Be sure the modem and router has good air flow around them.
  • Be sure to use good quality Cat 5E or better Ethernet cables.
  • If you have USB devices attached to the router, test without them.
  • Test with the extender disconnected.
  • If using a UPS, try without it. (may have a battery starting to fail)

Options
2021-03-10 22:48:01

@ArcherC8 

I'll try your suggestions, however I'm skeptical it's the ISP, modem and cables since everything worked generally fine before I installed the TP-Link hardware. Things were slower, but I did not have outages like this.

Here are specific comments and questions:

• I don't know what you mean by checking modem codes. I can say that when the outages occur, the lights on the modem are all in their normal state.
  • Per my earlier message, I already am assured of latest firmware. I checked in Tether app again today, which reports latest firmware is installed.
  • I am using the power adapter that came with the router.
  • Modem and router each have plenty of air flow, on an open shelf 5ft from the floor.
  • All cables are Cat 5E
  • I have no USB devices attached to the router or modem
  • I have no UPS
Options
2021-03-11 00:05:25

@eguttman 

Log into your ISP modem, and look at the system logs. You are mainly looking for critical 3 or critical 4 errors. This pertains to the internet signal not being stable which will give random connection drops.

If that is the case then reach out to the ISP to get those resolved.

If the modem appears to be fine, it may be an issue with the router itself.

Options
2021-03-11 13:47:58

@eguttman 

So you installed the new firmware released last month? https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a7/#Firmware

I have had the ISP say everything is fine but they it turned out to be another customer was causing interference on the line but not all the time. At my previous home, I have had the underground line from my ISP replaced several times and at least once, I know I hit the cable with a shovel doing some sprinkler work although I did not cut it all the way through.  Signal quality went bad, I guess the tape did not help. 

I have seen Ethernet cables fail and connections be marginal. New quality cables fixed the problem.

Does it happen around the same time each time?

When I have issues, I like to halve the problem. I would attach a PC direct to the modem and test it for a long period of time to ensure the issue is not the ISP, modem or PC. Then I am assured it is most likely the router or the other cable.

Options
2021-03-12 23:31:43

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the suggestions. I had installed the latest firmware, and the problem had been sporadic at various times around the day. I am now cautiously optimistic that the problem is resolved.

First, I had connected my laptop direct to the modem via existing ethernet cable - I was getting nothing, even after renewing DHCP Lease, so I restarted the modem. That did the trick there, and was getting consistent high speed. I worked for several hours without any interruptions. 

I then re-introduced the router, inserting a new cable between it and the modem for good measure.

Rebooted everything one more time, and all has been well ever since. I'd restarted everything before I posted here, so perhaps I either got lucky this time, or it was the replacement short cable I introduced.

Fingers crossed that this will last! I'll post back if things change for the worse.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 836

Replies: 7

Related Articles