Archer AX11000 WIFI Issues on firmware 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-11 19:45:59 - last edited 2021-02-11 20:01:30
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)

I need some help from the experts.

I purchased this router and I love its management interface and all the available resources for parental controls, which are easy and effective.

Now, I've been having a really annoying problem with the 2nd 5GHz WIFI (only the second, the first one works just fine), which very often drops the connection, interrupting whatever internet traffic is being accessed through it.

I thought this could be related to overheating, since my router sits over my XBox One X and used to get really hot, so I purchased a 120mm fan and it is now running really cool, but the problem persists. I have also setup auto reboot everyday at 5AM in order to verify if rebooting would fix the problem, but it's still there.

Adding a few more details, I have my gaming consoles hooked to the router via ethernet cables, all IoT devices and my printer hooked to the 2GHz network and I am having to use 5GHz-1 for all cell phones and computers in the house, since 5GHz-2 drops very often. The total of devices is around 40 and their OSs are mixed, with some computers running Mac OS Big Sur, some running Windows 10 and some are Chromebooks. Tablets and Cell Phones are all iOS. There are also 2 Fire TV 4k Sticks. One of them I am trying to keep in the 5GHz-2 to test and that's where I was able to confirm the issue only happens on this WIFI stream. The connection drops no matter what equipment is being used on it.

Are there no more firmware upgrades since July/2020? Has TP-Link quit releasing new firmwares for this model?

I really didn't want to return my router, because other than that, it works really well for me. 

Thanks in advance.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer AX11000 WIFI Issues on firmware 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)
2021-02-12 19:04:49

@AdalbertoMA 

The router is a current model so there is no indication anything was stopped as far as firmware.

With respect to the dropping of the 5G2 network if that keeps dropping I would recommend factory defaulting the router, and uploading the same current firmware to see if that may help the current situation.

If that does not do anything, I would reach out to our support team to see if anything may be malfunctioning.

Options
2021-04-14 03:47:30

@Tony 

I contacted support and they advised the 5GHz-2 network is only for very close range, but even at 2 meters away from the router, my connection still drops. Also, I went ahead and purchased a second Archer AX11000 router to make sure my unit wasn't defective and the new router still has the same issues on the latest firmware.

Honestly, it's looking like TP-Link doesn't really care about its customer base, as I've seen nothing but complaints since this last firmware was released and it's been 7 months now without a new firmware or corrections.

I regret the moment I decided to save 100 bucks from purchasing the other AX11000 router company as they release corrections much more often than TP-Link.

Options
2021-04-14 12:59:29

@AdalbertoMA 

If a product has an issue, then yes there should be a correction such as a firmware update.

I do not judge a product as good because it has a lot of updates. As a retired software developer, to me, a product needling a lot of firmware updates is a sign of poor software especially if no new feature/functionality is added. I have had a new firmware update brake a feature I was using on my router. 

It appears you may have identified an issue that needs to be addressed since it happens on two different routers. TP Link may be able to reproduce the issue. The reason I say 'may' is there are other factors in your home/office that may be the issue such as some type of interference causing the issue. Have you tried different channels, band width, and other WIFI settings, a different location, a different test device, a different SSID to ensure you moved all the other devices off it? For example, you have a garage door opener that is on 5 GHz and it is causing the issue or the router's location to other electronic equipment.

Options
2021-04-14 13:15:30

ArcherC8 wrote

@AdalbertoMA 

If a product has an issue, then yes there should be a correction such as a firmware update.

I do not judge a product as good because it has a lot of updates. As a retired software developer, to me, a product needling a lot of firmware updates is a sign of poor software especially if no new feature/functionality is added. I have had a new firmware update brake a feature I was using on my router. 

It appears you may have identified an issue that needs to be addressed since it happens on two different routers. TP Link may be able to reproduce the issue. The reason I say 'may' is there are other factors in your home/office that may be the issue such as some type of interference causing the issue. Have you tried different channels, band width, and other WIFI settings, a different location, a different test device, a different SSID to ensure you moved all the other devices off it? For example, you have a garage door opener that is on 5 GHz and it is causing the issue or the router's location to other electronic equipment.

@ArcherC8 

I agree with you on the quote about the number of updates as long as we are speaking of a product that has proven reliability and not a lot of complaints on many different areas, like the Archer AX11000. 

I have tested different channels (not band width), different test devices, not a different SSID, as all of my other devices have been moved out of that network since it drops very often. No Garage door or any other 5GHz transmitter/receiver nearby, other than the router's own 5GHz-1. Did not try another location, as the router is center placed in my home and all previous routers worked well on the same place.

I am disappointed with TP-Link support and just purchased an Asus and am now waiting for it to arrive. Honestly, although I understand a little bit about networking, my general thinking is if a manufacturer wants a product to be successful, it should work out of the box and shouldn't have to be fiddled with much. Plus if you have errors (and by the complaints on the forum this router does have a lot), the lack of interest in updating the software really shows that they don't really care about post-sales support.

Let's see what the Asus brings to the table.

Options
2021-04-14 15:56:20

AdalbertoMA wrote

@Tony 

I contacted support and they advised the 5GHz-2 network is only for very close range,

@AdalbertoMA 

That is surely WRONG!!!!

If that other company starts with 'N' and has a 'g' in its name, yes, they do do a LOT more often updates. Then again, they seem to break something on every update.

Updates alone shouldn't be a measure of 'quality'.

I've got a Tri-band and never had a problem like you are having.

Maybe it could be the device? That or heavy interference on the frequency band? Have you tried FORGETTING the network on the device(s)? Changed the band used?

Have you worked with ONLY one device at a time?

I suspect more debug is required here.

AdalbertoMA wrote

I've seen nothing but complaints since this last firmware was released and it's been 7 months now without a new firmware or corrections.

I searched here (and other places) for the firmware on an AX11000, I did find some, but nothing like your problem? However, there could be some I missed? In all I've seen though no solutions or the OP didn't come back, so maybe the suggestions did work?

Options
2021-04-14 21:43:43 - last edited 2021-04-14 21:44:48

IrvSp wrote

That is surely WRONG!!!!

@IrvSp 

That's the response I got from TP-Link Support. I wish I had the transcript for the chat window with the support representative to paste here, but I don't.

IrvSp wrote

If that other company starts with 'N' and has a 'g' in its name, yes, they do do a LOT more often updates. Then again, they seem to break something on every update.

I wouldn't purchase Netgear either. Been there, done that. Moved on.

IrvSp wrote

Maybe it could be the device? That or heavy interference on the frequency band? Have you tried FORGETTING the network on the device(s)? Changed the band used?

Have you worked with ONLY one device at a time?

Every single device I connect to the 5GHz-2 Network drops connection, so I doubt the devices are the issues. Also, as I mentioned before, I tried 2 different routers from the same model and they both present the same problem. As for heavy interference, then maybe TP-Link transmitter is more prone to it? My previous router, a Linksys WRT3200ACM running OpenWRT was rock solid at the exact same location. I did switch the channel, but haven't tried to switch the frequency band as I don't have knowledge on that area and thought I could make the Network range even smaller than the support representative told me it was.  I did forget the network on all devices before the tests as I couldn't use that network, so if they occasionally connected to it, I would get connection drops. And yes, tested with only one device connected to it at a time. For this, I used my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, an Amazon FireTV Stick and an Amazon FireTV Cube. Same results on all of them.

IrvSp wrote

I suspect more debug is required here.

Not by me, man. I have already purchased an Asus and am avoiding TP-Link products from now on.

IrvSp wrote

I searched here (and other places) for the firmware on an AX11000, I did find some, but nothing like your problem? However, there could be some I missed? In all I've seen though no solutions or the OP didn't come back, so maybe the suggestions did work?

I did a quick search here in the forum for AX11000 and can list just a few that I've found:

- 2GHz Network frequent drops

- Gigabit LAN ports slow speed (I've experienced this one with my FireTV Cube, but didn't mention on my thread, as I wasn't sure this was an issue with my device or the router)

- 5GHz-2 Network drops (my issue)
- 5GHz-1 Network not visible to Devices

The way I see it is if TP-Link was really concerned with post-sales support, there are plenty of issues to justify more frequent firmware releases. This is not to mention the OneMesh promise which was made when the product was released and more than a year later, still not fulfilled.

Anyway, let's see what the Asus brings to the table. I've seen good feedback from people who made the switch.

Options
2021-04-20 12:45:35 - last edited 2021-04-20 12:47:09

Just an update: The Asus GT-AX11000 arrived last Saturday and was setup the same day. Not a single drop in connection or speed since then. 40 Devices with a strong connection and setup was a breeze.

If you're thinking if it's worth the extra $100 like I was, think no more. Go for it.

The OP can close the topic if needed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 906

Replies: 7

Related Articles