Trouble Connecting Ethernet devices to a Wi-Fi device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-01 21:05:06
Model: Archer C2700  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20191225 rel.60527

I am having trouble connecting Ethernet-connected computers to a certain Wi-Fi device based on the ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip by Espressif.

The connection works only when the computer is connected via Wi-Fi to the router. If I use an Ethernet connection instead, the Wi-Fi device is inaccessible. It cannot be pinged or connect in any way from any computer connected by Ethernet.

The router can ping the device using its diagnostic feature. I am using the devices IP address to connect.

Other Wi-Fi devices, e.g. Galaxy phone and Amazon Fire TV Stick, can be pinged from Ethernet-connected computers.

I suspect an incompatibility in the router's firmware. Is there a solution?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Trouble Connecting Ethernet devices to a Wi-Fi device
2021-03-02 22:10:20

@BjornJ 

What is the model of the Wi-Fi device using the Espressif chip?

If wireless works, but not Ethernet, I think the configuration of the wired settings may need to be looked at?

What is your network information via Wi-Fi vs wired when connected to the TP-Link router? (connection type: DHCP/Static, IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS)

Options
2021-03-02 23:36:14

@Tony Two models actually, ESP-01 and NodeMCU 1.0, both based on ESP8266, same problem.

I get dynamic IP address from the internet provider.

Under Advanced, LAN, the subnet mask is Custom: 255.255.240.0.

DHCP server.

IP Address Pool 192.168.0.2.- 192.168.0.199. 

Default Gateway 192.168.0.1. 

Primary and Secondary DNS are left blank. I am using IP addresses, dotted quad, to connect. 

The ESP modules connect when powered up and get IP address from DHCP. Ethernet and Wi-Fi devices alike get IP addresses in this pool. A few I have allocated fixed IP addresses in the 0.200-range. This has been working since I got the router, June 2019. It does not seem to matter if the Ethernet/Wi-Fi device I am using is in the 200-range or in the normal pool. I have tried both, at both ends.

I have separate SSID for 2.4GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi. Only the Amazon Prime Fire TV stick is using the 5GHz and I can ping it from Ethernet. I can ping other Wi-Fi devices on the 2.4GHz band (phone) but not the ESP8266 devices unless I do so from a Wi-Fi device. The problem so far is specific to those modules that use ESP8266.

Options
2021-03-09 06:31:06
Update: We can add one more chip with the same problem: ESP-32, also from Espressif. The model I am using is based on the module ESP32-S by AI-Thinker.
Options
2021-03-10 23:28:08

@BjornJ 

I see how your subnet mask different from a typical home network setting.

Would it be possible to have the TP-Link router run with the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. See how DHCP performs, if not, statically assign an IP on the module to see if you now have network connectivity.

Options
2021-03-11 10:06:52

@Tony I changed the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. I then rebooted the router.

I tried letting the ESP32 device get IP address from DHCP, and also setting a static address outside the pool. It always connects to the router and gets the expected IP address, like before.

The problem connecting to it remains though.

When pinging from an Ethernet computer I consistently get "Request timed out." This is still different from when pinging a non-existent IP address for which the response is "Destination host unreachable."

Pinging or trying to connect with the WiFi laptop the result is spotty. If I turn off WiFi and connect the laptop to Ethernet, the result is identical to the other Ethernet computers.I moved the ESP32 within five feet of the router to ensure it has good connection. Often the response is "Destination host unreachable" or "Request timed out." Other times it works with widely varying ping response times.

The ping response from ESP32 is not under my control. I have a very simple code loaded on it implementing a socket server, a working example code from a website, and it is not concerned with pinging. When the connection works the code works as expected. I posted this issue on the ESP8266.com forum and there are 400+ views but no suggestions. It appears that the problem is unique to my setup.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 544

Replies: 5