Unable to Update Deco M9 Plus V1 Firmware in Mixed V1/V2 Mesh Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-11 05:47:03
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

I have a mesh network consisting of three Deco M9 Plus V2 devices and one Deco M9 Plus V1 device. The firmware of the V2 devices are all up-to-date, but the V2 device is still at 1.4.3. When I tap the "Update Deco" option under "More" > "Router Settings" in the iOS app, it reports this older version as up-to-date. My V2s had this problem for some time before I discovered the update utility, but I understand that this utility only works for V2 devices. After using that utility previously, I was able to update the V2 devices to 1.5.1 recently through the iOS app (which is partly why it's odd that the app reports version 1.4.3 from the V1 Deco as though it applies to all my units). I did also attempt to access my V1 unit by entering its IP address in my web browser, but that didn't work. It might make a difference that the V1 unit is connected to the network through Ethernet backhaul since it is physically remote from the other Deco devices. It seems that maybe TP-Link did not envision a mixed-device network of V1 and V2 Deco M9 Plus units?

Bottom line, how do I update the V1 device's firmware in this scenario?

Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to Update Deco M9 Plus V1 Firmware in Mixed V1/V2 Mesh Network
2021-03-12 17:22:35
You didn't say which node were satellite and which was the primary node. Just a thought, this may or may not work, if you are using a V2 as the primary node or vise versa, have you tried swapping the V1 node as the primary node instead of a satellite node,
Options
2021-03-12 20:57:34

@DAServices , I thought about doing this, but it seems potentially extremely disruptive. I'm not sure whether all of my settings would be maintained, or if I would have to recreate them, or if this might even create some kind of havoc I would later have to reverse engineer. I am hoping there is a less-potentially disruptive way to manage this. 

My "Main Deco" is one of the V2s - the V1 is just an access point for the mesh. 

Options
2021-03-15 22:17:45

@Aylarja2 

Swapping Deco nodes will not reset the settings. I think @DAServices is correct in swapping the Deco units and trying the update.

Options
2021-03-15 22:53:49

@Tony , thanks for the confirmation. I will attempt this when I have an opportunity to take down the network for a period of time.

Would you agree that this seems like a kludgy workaround, and not a solution? I thought Deco mesh networks are touted as flexible enough to include different models of Deco devices, but not accommodating both a V1 and V2 of the same device seems contrary to this claim. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 629

Replies: 4