Archer A7 AC1750 wifi is suddenly horrible. Firmware update yesterday didnt help.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 AC1750 wifi is suddenly horrible. Firmware update yesterday didnt help.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-19 12:11:56

The wifi has been solid ever since I bought the router a year ago until yesterday

What's weird is that to me it seemed to start when I ran a ethernet to my work laptop. As soon as I plugged the ethernet into the wifi router the wifi has been dropping and is very slow.

But I didnt add a new device. I just plugged my work laptop in that has been on wifi, but needed ethernet because of issues with soft phone. The connection over ethernet is great.

My roommate has been harassing me about it. Tried power cycling both router and modem Then got on the web interface and saw there was a firmware update. Great, so I ran it.

But the wifi is still terrible. It'll be alright for a minute and then I cant load a page.Also QoS is turned off. I never had that on.

Last night I unplugged ethernet and powercycled again. Wifi was alright. This morning again its terrible. My roommate was kind of freaking out. I really dont want to have to get another wifi router

wired connection seems fine, Wifi is terrible.

I dont know if this is related to the firmware update or not.

Here are some tests I did yesterday on wifi...

speed test shows 111up and 10down. 12ping

I ran ping 8.8.8.8 -t
Goes between 27ms and 60ms
Spiked a couple times to about 144ms
Average 38ms after 114 packets sent.

Any ideas? No local outages reported from what I've seen and my wired connection is good

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer A7 AC1750 wifi is suddenly horrible. Firmware update yesterday didnt help.
2021-03-19 13:15:45

@brenton393 

Things to consider:

• Did the router get moved? Even a small change can make a difference.
  • Did the antennas position get changed? Detach and reattach as one may have a bad connection.
  • Are you having the issue on both the 5GHz and the 2.4 GHz bands?
  • Are you running a VPN?
  • If you put it back the way it was, do you still have the issue?
  • Try specific channels and bandwidths.
  • Anything new added to the house that may use a signal such as a weather station or cordless phone? 
Options
Re:Archer A7 AC1750 wifi is suddenly horrible. Firmware update yesterday didnt help.
2021-03-19 13:23:53 - last edited 2021-03-19 13:33:49

-router moved enough to plug ethernet in, if not in exact same location only a couple inches difference.
-I did move the antennas a little. I'll try detaching an reactaching (not sure they do detach though)
-Just as before I'm using the smart connect option.
-no VPN
-havent tried specific bandwidths and channels. will need to look into that.
-no new addition besides the ethernet

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 670

Replies: 2

Related Articles