WDS Bridge mode or AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-02 21:29:40
Model: Archer C1900  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Here is my setup:

Desktop PC in living room directly connected by Ethernet cable to my ISP modem/router combo Technicolor CGM4231MDC.

I subscribe to 600Mbs down 30 up. PC, PS4, Smart TV and Laptop all hardwired to current Modem/router.

2 smart phones, 2 smart plugs and 2 smart lights all connected to Wirelss. More devices to come later.

adding 2nd Desktop in Dining Room 

purchased TPLink Archer C1900 to try to connect to existing network so that I can plug an ethernet cable into the PC in the living room through the Archer C1900

I set up a similar scenario about 8 or 9 years ago with a pc in my bedroom hardwired to a TPLink device(do not remember exactly what I purchased at the time) This device was a 2nd router I believe in our house connected to the main network. The person that helped me set this up called it a bridge the way he set it up.

Is this even possible with the Archer I have and if so would the connection speed benefit by the ethernet cable?

Should I get a better router for this job?

Options
1 Reply
Re:WDS Bridge mode or AP mode?
2021-04-04 13:07:41
If you connect the PC to the modem/router (Gateway) with an Ethernet cable, it would give you the best speed and reliability. Most use AP mode when connecting another router to an ISP Gateway. I prefer my own modem and a separate router instead the ISP's Gateway. It is cheaper in the long run, gives me more control and options over the network, and is easier to identify where a possible issue may be. On the negative side, the ISP will not be as much help if you have a network issue. A router placed in a good location covers most homes but that is not always possible and sometimes objects prevent that. I have a separate modem (MB8600) , an Archer C8 router, and since I have a dead spot in my house, I use an wireless extender (re220). Since I only need the extra coverage for slower devices, an extender works for me and very easy to set up and maintain. When I upgrade my system, I will consider a Mesh system. An AP or Bridge is more complicated to set up and maintain.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 971

Replies: 1

Related Articles