Did the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) fry my shielded Cat 5e cable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Did the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) fry my shielded Cat 5e cable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-05 02:50:05

I was excited to get my new router yesterday and it seemed to work just fine after setting it up yesterday afternoon. Today when I went out to my workshop (where it is installed) I found it not functioning, or rather that the shielded Cat 5e underground rated cable which has served me flawlessly to get the ethernet out to my workshop for 12 years, "coincidentally" has failed now to function. Overnight. No storms, no digging up the PVC tube that carries the shielded cable, no mice chewing on anything... just a failure for the cable to operate now, for any sort of connection. It is effectively fried. Any suggestions about how to fix? It was professionally installed to run the 90 yards from my house to the workshop. Is this a typical problem for this router?
 TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7)  -  brand new.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Did the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) fry my shielded Cat 5e cable?
2021-04-05 15:30:45
I have not ever heard of a router frying a cable. Not saying that it is impossible but most times when a cable gets fried it is due to lighting. Assuming that is not the case, I would more likely suspect that moving the cable (disconnect/reconnect) caused the cable connector or the wire itself to be the issue. Is it the cable from the modem to the router (WAN) or from the router to a device (LAN)? If LAN, does it fail on all four ports. I would try a different cable as a test, it could be a short cable to a PC as most would not have 90 yards of cable for a test.
Options
Re:Did the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) fry my shielded Cat 5e cable?
2021-04-05 17:50:14

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for your reply, ArcherC8.

I had a networking guy come and test things. Boiled down to being some cable connections that somehow failed - I am guessing from my moving things around during install. Mea Culpa! Looking forward to really using the TP-Link router now.

Oddly, when I searched the internet on the topic, I found only one hit about a router suspected of frying an ethernet cable, and it just so happened to also be on a AC1750 router, too. He didn't say what the final outcome was, but it didn't seem to be the router. So anyone who searched and found these two articles, know it is probably NOT your TP-Link router's fault. (Relief.) His post (and now mine) probably just acknowledge the popularity of this particular router/brand more than anything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 484

Replies: 2

Related Articles