Archer A6 Hotspot Connection and Data Limits?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-13 15:46:19 - last edited 2021-04-13 15:47:21

I'm moving to a rural city, I will be forced to use mobile tethering for internet access at least temporarily. In preparation, I am looking into seeing what my current data usage looks like and seeing what options I have for making my new home network function.

On the Archer A6 Advanced Settings, QoS displays a "Traffic Usage" amount, what timeline is this amount based on? Monthly, Weekly, Since Last Reset?

What hardware or settings do I need to connect the A6 to a mobile hotspot?

Any recommendations for restricting/limiting/monitoring data?

I use Macs on Catalina and Big Sur (10.15 and 11.2)

Thank you!!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A6 Hotspot Connection and Data Limits?
2021-04-13 20:41:19

@ArcherHelp 

See https://www.macworld.com/article/234236/how-to-share-a-wi-fi-connection-via-macos.html

To limit your data

• Turn off all cloud services such as iCloud and Amazon.
  • do no use DDNS service
  • Do not use cameras that can be viewed through the internet.
  • Update all your software on all devices before you move.
  • reduce or stop gamming
  • reduce or stop streaming and internet channels
  • Decrease size of attachments (pictures) before you email.
  • If you get a lot of junk email, consider switching to a new one.
  • Unsubscribe from emails and notifications.
  • power off the router when not in use.

Also check your ISP as they may have internet useage available such as xfinity does.

Options
2021-04-13 23:08:04

@ArcherC8 

ArcherC8 wrote

@ArcherHelp 

See https://www.macworld.com/article/234236/how-to-share-a-wi-fi-connection-via-macos.html

I only mentioned I primarily use macs if there was a spacific program for data monitoring. I would like to keep using my archer as the main network so I don't think sharing from a mac really aplies here (could be misunderstanding). To be more specific, I would like to connect the archer to a wifi hotspot instead of the current modem it was using via ethernet. Is this possible?

To limit your data

• Turn off all cloud services such as iCloud and Amazon. Thought of this
  • do no use DDNS service. Dont think I have DDNS service but telling my macs to stop checking for email automaticly would probably be smart.
  • Do not use cameras that can be viewed through the internet. Looked into this, hear that streeming can be configurd for mostly locally (wyze cam)
  • Update all your software on all devices before you move. 
  • reduce or stop gamming 
  • reduce or stop streaming and internet channels
  • Decrease size of attachments (pictures) before you email.
  • If you get a lot of junk email, consider switching to a new one.
  • Unsubscribe from emails and notifications.
  • power off the router when not in use.
  • Think Little snitch would be a smart program to monitor desktop traffic, thinking there is a network monitor for the Archer A6 tho

Also check your ISP as they may have internet useage available such as xfinity does. Can you explain this? Don't understand what it says. Did you mistype?

Thank you for helping =)

Options
2021-04-14 00:36:54 - last edited 2021-04-14 01:49:07

@ArcherHelp 

read more of that link and see the wireless connection section. I think a travel router is a good option which is not expensive and is designed for it. My son uses one when he visits me. Plugs it in and enters my WIFI stuff and his tablets, pcs, and phones connect to his travel router.

I think the Wyze cam goes over the internet as you can view the cameras remotely. Not sure if that happens only when you are looking at the cameras. Leave your router on and disconnect the WAN cable to it and see if the cameras continue to work. 

I have xfinity as my ISP and in their website I can see my monthly usage. Not sure is yours is the same.

also if ypu have iPads, each network has a low data mode option.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 439

Replies: 3