Challenge with “Hide SSID” and Using Smart Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-14 19:05:53
Model: Archer AX3200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200621 rel.76096(5553)

In using the Tether app to set up my AX3200 Tri-band router, it set up all the bands with the same SSID, security and password. Since I had been recently testing a competitor’s mesh system, it was what I expected. Unfortunately I did have to redo the Wi-Fi connection on all devices, but confirmed it would work. I then selected “Hide SSID” and found a number of devices were not able to see the Wi-Fi. I tried redoing the Wi-Fi connections, confirmed to connect when not broadcasting, using QR code, etc. What even surprised me more was that one of the devices I was having a challenge on was using a brand new tp-link Nano AC600 USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Archer T2U). In testing, I then found that in order to make it work, you have to turn Smart Connect off and go through and give each band a different SSID, save, re-enable Smart Connect and then it would work. Is this by design or a firmware bug?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Challenge with “Hide SSID” and Using Smart Connect
2021-04-15 15:26:06

@Quest7 

Hide SSID option is not secure as there are many ways to 'see it' even when it is set to hide it. Some devices do not honor the setting. Some devices have issues when connecting to a router with Hide SSID on.

Just google "how to see hidden wifi networks".

I just do not use it as there is no security benefit for it.

Options
2021-04-15 18:07:38

So true... and I see many WiFi analytics tools include hidden networks as well as more and more devices.  It appears to be a security idea that never really worked out. In testing out different routers features and settings is where I hit this one and my curiosity is getting the better of me why to make it work required steps outlined and if this was by design or bug. 

Options
2021-04-15 18:51:06

@Quest7 

I think the way it was suppose to work was devices were not to display the hidden SSIDs as the radio signal would always be there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 519

Replies: 3