Moving a wireless router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Moving a wireless router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Moving a wireless router
Moving a wireless router
2021-04-18 22:29:32
Model: Archer C3000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My router is located at an outside corner of our home's living room, consequently the signal has a number of walls to go through to get to the far diagonal corner of the house several rooms away. With some effort I could relocate the router and modem to a central room but would leave the three connected Ethernet cables currently plugged into the router in the corner where they are presently located (TV tuner, HTPC, & DVD player). So I'm wondering what my options might be for dealing with these Ethernet cables? Can I run one Ethernet cable from the moved router back to the original corner location and plug it into a switch (I know zip about switches) which the three devices would also plug into? Is that what switches are for? If so, would the signal coming out of the switch be noticeably degraded? Are there other options? Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Moving a wireless router
2021-04-20 11:46:46

@Michael3442 

I think the reason most do not replay is because there are so many options and it varies based on so many factors, Also, what is best for me may not be best for you.

A few points:

• The best would be to have Ethernet cables attached between the devices and router.
  • A Ethernet switch would work if running a line from the router to the switch then to the devices. If you can run one cable, why not four?
  • Get another router and running it in AP mode is another option.
  • Instead of moving the router, put an extender/booster/repeater/travel router in the middle of the house. Each has it pros and cons.
  • If running wires is an issue, there are wireless connecters as well as power line adapters.
  • Can the the TV, HTPC, and DVD work using WIFI?
  • Consider a Mesh system

I have a small house but due to house design, the routers location due to ISP drop, other devices such as phone system and security DVR, and objects interfering with the WIFI, I chose to add an inexpensive extender (RE220) and placed it in the center of my house only 12-15 feet from the router. This covered my weak spots. The extender plugs into a electrical plug, and connects to my router via WIFI. It is slower than if connected directly to the router via WIFI. The key with extenders is to place it in between the router and the dead spots.

I also found moving the router only a few feet, adjusting the antenna, and turning it about 30 degrees helped the coverage a lot. Height helps also.

Options