Archer C2300 automatic setup defaults to Auto security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-18 23:08:57
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I setup my new Archer C2300 router to the default settings and when logging in from my iPad it popped up a message that said WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not secure. I went to the Wireless\Wireless Settings page in the Setup pages and the settings showed WPA/WPA2-Personal with AUTO checked for both Version and Encryption. I then changed these last two to WPA2-PSK and AES based on earlier information that these were more secure. Considering this new iPad popped up the insecure message, why did this message appear? Wouldn't one assume TP-Link had made the default choices the most secure? Also, under the Wireless\Wireless Settings\Security there is another option: WPA/WPA3-Personal. I've not heard of WPA3 before and wonder under what conditions one would check that option? 'll attach a screenshot of the page.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C2300 automatic setup defaults to Auto security
2021-04-20 11:55:27

@Michael3442 

I do not work for TP Link, but I would assume the 'Auto' setting is to connect the most devices instead of the most secure.

Since Apple added that warning and has been a subject of several posts.

WPA3 is the newest that corrects some of the shortcoming of WPA2 but most devices do not support it yet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 474

Replies: 1