Antenna Placement with Beamformng

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-20 23:52:37
Model: Archer AX3200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200621 rel.76096(5553)

I was stuck on the idea that the antennas on the AX3200 were omnidirectional, so was testing different antenna angles for better coverage.  If I now understand correctly, with the antennas having the beamforming feature, they are directional.  So if they are directional, are the antennas still able to provide a stronger signal closer to the horizontal plane, so is better to have some antennas vertical, 45-60% and horizontal?  Reason for confirming is that I am wondering if beamforming to work actually needs a certain amount or all of antennas to be aligned.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Antenna Placement with Beamformng
2021-04-21 00:13:17

@Quest7 

I am only guessing here, and taking into account TP-Link FAQ on this, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2096/ but I think that the router determines WHERE the connection point is and handles the strength of signal to where it is needed?

I'll also tell you some router's that have this feature CAN NOT turn it off (my Archer A20 for instance, assuming the literature is correct as well as the Spec's).

I have my router just about as far as I can have it from the opposite end of the home. Guessing 80 to 90 feet away with some walls and pipes between the router and a device at that end. Speed tests show NO degradation on the 5Ghz SSID, but a slight one on the 2.4Ghz SSID, which seems to be what one would expect at that distance.

One way to tell for sure, test it out. If your router can disable beamforming, try it with and without.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 669

Replies: 1