Providing Internet access to remote workshop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-07 18:51:17
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My home computer connects to the Internet via a tp-link switch. (It has 500 MBs download speed). I also have a workshop in back (over 25 feet from the home) that has no Internet access at all but needs it. I plan to hookup one end of a 25' CAT 5 cable from the home switch (LAN port) to the workshop switch (Gigabit WAN Port). I'm hoping the connection will be fast and the workshop router can also provide wireless access throughout the workshop

Do you think this approach will work?

Does this setup introduce any security concerns that I need to specifically address?

Particulars:

Home switch:

Model TL-5g1005D, 5 port Gigabit Desktop Switch.

Workshop switch:

tp-link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7)

TIA !

Options
5 Reply
Re:Providing Internet access to remote workshop
2021-05-09 12:48:34

@HomeBasedBill 

First off, do not use Cat 5 as it will limit your speed to 100Mbps. You need at least Cat 5E or Cat 6 Ethernet cable. Use a good quality cable.

If it is less than 25 feet, I would think a WIFI router should be able to cover that area instead of using the home switch. I have WIFI cameras in my semi attached workshop which is over 60 feet from the router located in my home.

I do not think you would be increasing the security issue over any other WIFI network.

Options
2021-05-09 15:00:00

@HomeBasedBill

Thank you ArcherC8, especially for the Cat-x info!

You wrote >>> If it is less than 25 feet, I would think a WIFI router should be able to cover that area instead of using the home switch.  

From my home I walked halfway to the workshop with my laptop. I found that the laptop could connect to my wireless network but the download speed (500Mbs in the home) had dropped to 30Mbs. The speed dropped further as I approached the workshop and connection became uncertain. I'm hoping to do better than that (!) which is why I think a hard-wired solution is needed.

HBB

Options
2021-05-09 16:12:44

@HomeBasedBill 

Which band (SSID) are you on?

2.4Ghz will go further than the 5Ghz band, but the 5Ghz will maintain a higher transfer speed at distance than the 2.4Ghz band, but it does drop off sooner.

Distance from house to workshop is not what is important, it is the distance from Router to Workshop. Also, what is between them, and that includes any walls, what is in the walls, and mounted on them as well as any fences or other items outside. All can degrade or cause interference off the signal.

This link might be worthwhile reading, https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/how-far-can-wifi-signal-travel-2/

One other solution if you can't move the router, a wifi extender place as close to the outside of the house closest to the workshop.

IF and only IF the workshop is on the same side of the electrical power as the home is, you could also get a Power Extender like this, https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600-Powerline-WiFi-Extender/dp/B00HSQAIQU. More reading on this, https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/powerline-extenders-vs-wi-fi-signal-boosters.

Options
2021-05-09 16:40:54

@IrvSp 

I'm using 2.4 Ghz

The distance from Router to Workshop is 50-60 feet.

There are several home walls between the router and the workshop. Some have glass, some pictures, doors between walls. Lots of stuff (as you would expect in a home)

I don't know if "the workshop is on the same side of the electrical power as the home is," Need to check into this.

I will read through the URL you mentioned.

Thx,

HBB

Options
2021-05-09 18:08:28

HomeBasedBill wrote

@IrvSp 

I don't know if "the workshop is on the same side of the electrical power as the home is," Need to check into this.

@HomeBasedBill 

I mentioned this as I had a problem in our old home with a 'smart' device. It didn't work. Due to the 220V coming in split into two lines. Controller and device were on basically 2 different electrical circuits. I did get it 'fixed'. Electrician added a capacitor I think between the 2 sides of the electric box and it works. I assume you might be able to do this, unless the service is from 2 different power points.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 5

Related Articles