High ping and latency issue.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-16 18:26:30 - last edited 2021-05-16 18:51:51
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066

Recently upgraded my router from tp link TL-WR840N to Archer C6 v3.20, my main purpose of getting dual band router was to get low ping spikes and latency as I play a lot of online multiplayer games that includes COD mobile on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, and the older router used to deliver ping spikes and frequent disconnections, after the upgrade the new router was giving even more ping spikes and disconnections than the older one, my ping usually stays around 80 with frequent spikes every min or two that goes around 150ms or so and disconnections. As I was not getting desired performance tried tweaking my router settings as follows:-

The firmware is up to date with version 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066

ISP: Youbroadband

Connection type: Cable

Plan: 75mbps

2.4ghz band:

Switched to best suitable channel using wifi analyzer.

Changed the mode to 802.11n only.

Channel width to 20MHz

Transmit power: high

5ghz

Mode:802.11 n/ac mixed

Channel width: 40MHz

Channel is set to auto

Enabled multi-user MIMO

Enabled QoS and gave priority to my iPhone.

Mesh network and IPv6 are turned off. 

Changed the DNS settings from automatically to Cloudfare's public DNS server.  

Primary - 1.1.1.1 

Secondary - 1.0.0.1

Did everything, tried on other mobile devices as well but the performance has not improved a bit, the game is unplayable now. The old router used to deliver a ping of 30 to 40ms with ping hikes every 8 to 10mins.

Even tried to use VPN and 1.1.1.1 application to get connected with nearby severs but in vain. 

Alongside the said issue there is one more, whenever i manually switch from 2.4MHz to 5MHz or vice versa  the later connected network shows no Internet connection, need to turn off wifi network on devices wait for some time turn it on and than it gets connected.

Any help or solution will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Yohan.

Options
2 Reply
Re:High ping and latency issue.
2021-05-18 12:10:19

@Yohan 

Things I would do:

First I would bypass the router and connect a PC direct to the modem to establish a base line for both speed and ping. If the ping is high and speed slow, then it is not the router. 

Assuming it is fast, what I would do:

• Be sure your firmware is up to date.
  • Reconnect the router.
  • Ensure you are using the power adapter that came with the router.
  • Be sure the Ethernet cables are at least CAT 5E or better and in good condition.
  • Power cycle all (Power off modem, router and the PC, power up the modem, wait for it to stabilize, then power up the router, wait for it to stabilize, the power up the PC).
  • QoS can hinder the speed in some setups, so I would try it with it off.
  • I would turn on IPv6

On your devices that have the connection issues to WIFi, I would delete (forget) both networks on them and re-establish them.

Options
Re:High ping and latency issue.
2021-05-23 20:15:25

Try to reboot u system

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5592

Replies: 2

Related Articles