What current AC routers support "AP Client Router Mode" aka "Hotspot Mode" aka "WISP"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What current AC routers support "AP Client Router Mode" aka "Hotspot Mode" aka "WISP"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-27 23:12:06

Hello,

I am looking to keep a device in the RV to connect to RV park wifi, boost, and create separate private wifi for all my devices. This way I only need to reconfigure wifi on a single device every time we go to a new park, and the Xbox, Roku, etc. are all attached to this router. Boosting the 'wan' signal also a huge bonus, as you never know how far you will be from the park WAP. I am seeing this option on some legacy devices but not sure on newer ones. Where can I find a list of all routers that can be used in this way? The bigger the antennas, the better. Best device I am finding for this so far in from another company pix-link LV-AC05. Really hoping more options exist.

WISP or Wireless ISP is such a great term to define this mode, but searching on it is sparse. Please let me know what TP-Link offers in this operating mode.

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:What current AC routers support "AP Client Router Mode" aka "Hotspot Mode" aka "WISP"
2021-06-28 12:12:39

@zonker17 

TP Link has travel routers such as:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/ as a possible option.

Not sure if it has the WAN pickup you need.

In the posts, the main issue reported for travel routers seems to be some hotels require a special sign on (ie room number and name) which causes issues connecting.

Options
Re:What current AC routers support "AP Client Router Mode" aka "Hotspot Mode" aka "WISP"
2021-06-28 14:20:59
Saw that one, but with those internal antenna I agree that it will not fit the bill. Appreciate the reply!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 2