TPLINK Router Power output & VPN ACTIVE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-06 06:12:05 - last edited 2021-08-10 17:04:05
Model: AD7200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I know this sounds strange but please read on.

My Toshiba laptop connects up to my tplink Archer A7 wireless router which in turn is connected to the internet modem Frontier ISP.

I have other devices connected also computers, phones, iPads, Amazon Fire TV Stick, etc.  So when I start my VPN (IPvanish) the output power indicator in windows drops from 5 bars to 1 or 2 at most.  When this happens my internet connection gets Sketchy at best as you can well imagine.  VPN drops and tries to restart sometimes it does sometimes I just kill it and when I do kill it the output of the TPLINK A7 remains low.  So I run a program called Jet Clean and Glary Utilities back to back, after I do that the output power of the TPLINK A7 returns to 5 bars.

I can and have demonstrated this crazy thing to others they just shake their heads.  We cannot figure this out.  But I suspect that the same sort of thing is behind everyone's problems with their VPN's dropping service.

Can anyone else duplicate this?  Let me know okay?

Thanks

Safety-First

Additional  information/observation.

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021

I have noticed that I do not have the problem of dropping VPN if I am using my "CABLE" connected computer.  Is that a clue?  Is it possible that the issue of throughput while using VPN on wireless connections has something to do with it?  Yes, I am reaching here but this is an annoying problem for many people it seems.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TPLINK Router Power output & VPN ACTIVE
2021-08-06 12:02:31

@Safety-First 

What happens if you bypass the router and connect direct to the modem?

Does it change if you run other high usage computing programs other than the VPN?

Options
2021-08-10 16:51:31

@ArcherC8 

Sorry, did I not mention that I was connected using WIFI?  But I do have more information on this problem/issue.

I can duplicate the issue with another WIFI connected desktop computer.  I swapped out the TPLINK router with a NETGEAR router and the problem went away with the TPLINK router.

SO!  In my opinion the issue is NOW a problem and the problem is with the TPLINK wireless router.  Please HILIGHT "MY OPINION" in the last sentence.

Options
2021-08-10 17:23:02

@Safety-First 

I agree with you that it does seem to narrow it down to the router.

I would try a factory reset, set up a minimum configuration, and test.

Also I wonder if the VPN is somehow causing dropped packets. 

Options
2021-08-10 17:50:33

@ArcherC8 

I have already performed the factory reset and re-configured my TPLINK router.  I also switched to another VPN and with the same results as the other.  I have also setup the TPLINK and only attached with my laptop and alternately with my desktop.  Same results I am going to move my laptop to within 10 feet of my router and see if distance has anything to do with the issue.  IF it changes the results I will post another update to my original post via the EDIT feature thus keeping all my updates available to new readers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 550

Replies: 4