VPN with static or dynamic address possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-07 01:00:24
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20210205 rel.12759(5553)

I created an ovpn file but want to know if I can create one or edit the one I created and substitute a dynamic dns address instead of a fixed IP address. Is this possible? This would allow me to not be concerned if my IP changes my IP over time.

Options
5 Reply
Re:VPN with static or dynamic address possible?
2021-08-07 16:30:01

@marklyn 

You should have no issues as long as the DDNS has your correct IP address as assigned from your ISP not the VPN IP address.

Options
2021-08-07 16:32:39 - last edited 2021-08-07 16:34:03

@ArcherC8 Sorry, could you clarify your answer, I'm fairly new to VPN.

Does this mean if I use TPLink's DDNS that when I use VPN, even if my ISP changed my IP, that I'd still be able to connect?

I ask because when I see the VPN connect, I also see an IP number.

Is that the DDNS you're talking about?

Side note, when I create the ovpn file from my router I never have the opportunity to specify using ddns as part of the ovpn config file it creates.

Options
2021-08-07 20:14:49

@marklyn 

I use a VPN for my iPads for when I travel. So I am connecting to different networks using different IPs addresses all the time. I use DDNS so I can see my security cameras when I am not in my home network. I have traveled all over and never had an issue connecting to see my cameras. My IP has stayed static although my provider says it is dynamic IP address. When I set up my DDNS and I assigned the IP address my provider (ISP) has for me. I do not use the router's DDNS option as I currently use a DDNS provider that is not supported by the router. I did use no-ip for a while but got tired of renewing it each month. 

Inside my home network I use a 192.168.x.xxx IP address. 

For example to get to my security cameras, I can use <internal-IP>:81 (192.168.1.150:81 for example for when I am in my network) or the <DDNS name>:81 (example DDNSname.ddns.net) or my <ISP IPV4 Address>:81 with 81 being my port number.  

I set up my apps on my IPads to use the DDNS when I travel and my security DVR's IP address in my network as there is no need to go out to the internet to see my cameras when I am in my network (also I am able to see the cameras even if the internet is down when in my neywork). 

I can turn VPN on or off when in my network while using the DNS option, I am able to see the cameras.

Options
2021-08-07 20:21:21

@ArcherC8 I guess I'm explaining it wrong.

I travel occasionally and connect to a few home security cameras directly via a ddns connection to my camera/port.  That part works great, no issues there even if my ISP changes my ip since i'm using DDNS.

My WAN IP may not always stay static though.  I recall one month it changed 3 times, not sure why but maybe Spectrum was having issues and one time I may have had my cable modem reboot on it's own.

When I export the ovpn file from the TPLink router, if I edit the file, I see my current WAN IP but if that changes, doesn't that mean that I'd need to generate a new ovpn file in order for me to use it when I connect to my TPLink Router's VPN?

Options
2021-08-07 20:50:45

@marklyn 

The router should detect the WAN IP change and notify the DDNS of the change if you are using the router's DDNS option.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 585

Replies: 5