Archer A7 AC1750 wired speed woes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-13 02:51:52
Model: Archer A2  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20210125 rel.39623(5553)

Ok,

So like many others it appears, I am fallen to the doom of ridiculously slow ethernet speeds.  Here is everything I have tried, and results on all of it.

Everything in residence is 1.0 Gbps speeds.  All connected speeds read 1.0Gbps on all pc's.

Initial test transfer of 40 GB from one pc to another.  900Mbps transfer on ALL PC's.

Internet is Spectrum Gigabit.  Modem is Spectrum Gigabit with 2.5 Gb Ethernet port.  Speed test results all done using Ookla speedtest windows app.  All servers are the same used.

Laptop: Cat5e - 95Mbps down, 40 Mbps Up, Cat6e 95 Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up, Cat7, 95Mbps Down, 40Mbps Up.

My gaming self built computer - Cat5e 170Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up, Cat6e, 178Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up, Cat7, 180Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up.

My Fiance's computer - Cat5e - 185 Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up, Cat6e, 186Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up, Cat7 186Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up.

My phone AND tablet on 5g Wifi - 335Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up.

Now, ALL of these directly connected directly to my modem (minus the wifi equipment) will push between 850-930Mbps Down, 40 Mbps Up EVERY test..  Literally EVERY test.  So this is where I'm confused.  Why is there such a HUGE drop in speed running through this router?  QoS is Disabled, NAT Boost is Disabled, and it's at 1000MB Full Duplex.  I have tested 3 different cables on all sets, even changed cables from modem to router, all with little to no change.  I know for a FACT, I'm getting my full bandwidth from the modem, so why does this "gigabit" router struggle so much to pass through the internet to my wired devices?  I can tell you this right now, I have 2 of these routers and have tested both to the same results.  PC to PC speeds are great as they should be, but there seems to be some issue from the WAN port to the LAN ports and I can't seem to figure it out.  I've factory reset it many times to no avail.  Can anyone help?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer A7 AC1750 wired speed woes
2021-08-13 17:11:42

@Leveecius 

I will give it a shot.

The WIFI speeds seem to be what would be expected.

The wired speeds are strange.

Try the laptop on different Ethernet ports on the router. If still below or at 100, I would first suspect the cable which you have determined is not the issue, the connector in the laptop (need all eight wires for speeds faster than 100) or a setting in the laptop which changes when connected to the router.

When connected to the modem are you getting an IPv4 or IPV6 address? It is the same when connected to the router?

Are you running a VPN?

How current is your modem? The reason I ask as my old modem only had a few up/down channels where my new one is giving me 32 x 5 from my ISP.  If you have only a few channels, that may be your bottle neck when multiple things are attached. Anything is the modem logs different when the router is attached?

Anything in your USB ports?

Do you back up anything to the cloud where it could be eating band width?

Have you tried removing all Ethernet and USB devices, turn WIFI off, and connecting one device at a time to see the result?

Let us know what you find.

Options