Slow Wired Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow Wired Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Slow Wired Speeds
Slow Wired Speeds
2021-08-19 02:25:34
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20210125 rel.39623(5553)

Hello Everyone,

I recently had my Internet installed. I have Suddenlink and I use a Netgear CM600 cable modem and a TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 router.

At first, I was having issues and then after countless hours of troubleshooting, I was able to get my speeds up.

At first, my wireless speed was fine, I got good speed on my phone via Wi-Fi.

I have a 400/20 Mbps plan.  

However, my wired speeds via Ethernet were slow. Even when I plugged directly into the Modem earlier they were slow. Now from some miracle, my speeds increased.

I had another Tech come out this morning trying to help. Still no luck. But after he left I changed some more settings around in my Router via the TP-Link interface and was able to get my speeds up. I am now getting good download speed anywhere from 340-400. But my upload is still slow, but it has been getting faster. My upload before was less than 1 Mbps, as of right now it is 4 Mbps when it should be closer to 20. This is via Ethernet to my PC. My phone speeds are normal, I get 400 download and 20 upload.

I turned off:

Parent Controls

QoS

I set NAT Boost to ON

I set Duplex to Auto Negotiate 

^When I did this at first, it's what helped my speeds go up. 

So what I am asking here is, what other settings in my router can I change to increase my speeds via my wired Ethernet to my PC? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Slow Wired Speeds
2021-08-19 12:18:09

@jtcanfield 

First, Power off modem, router and PC, wait 5 min, then power up the modem and wait for 2 min, the power up the router, wait a few min then the PC and retest.

Go back and connect a PC direct to the modem and see what upload speeds you get. That is the best speed you will be able to get as you are only as fast as the slowest thing. If it is slow, check the logs in the modem for error. If none, contact your internet provider.

Since your download is above 100, it sounds like your cables are okay, but switching them does not hurt to try.

When making router changes, I like to power cycle the router between changes although it is not required for many changes. I was surprised when my router stopped working after a power failure one time because of a previous change. 

Try a different PC.

Try a different Ethernet port.

Are you using a VPN?

Are you using both IPv4 and IPv6?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 559

Replies: 1

Related Articles