Write access to usb drive being used as a media server on Archer C7 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-21 20:50:45
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi:

I have a USB drive plugged into the Archer C7 and setup as a media server. It works well: my Bose Soundtouch speakers can find the drive easily.

My question: how can I gain write access to the USB drive, so that I can add new music to it? I'd prefer to access it from a linux box on the network, but a second choice would be from a Mac laptop.

Thank you for any help,

ISK43

Options
3 Reply
Re:Write access to usb drive being used as a media server on Archer C7 router
2021-08-22 18:49:01

@isk43 

In one of your MACs browsers such as Firefox, enter smb:// and the address of your router such as smb://192.168.1.1 or smb://192.168.0.1

It will open a window to sign in to allow it and then on to finder. Once it is in finder, it is like any other folder on your MAC.

When done using it, unmount the drive.

Options
2021-08-24 22:54:19

@ArcherC8

Thanks - this is simple and works fine. But it would be even better if I could access the drive from linux. I tried using the command line smbclient, and I also tried the connect to server function on the linux mint graphic file manager, but wasn't able to connect either way. Both of these are supposed to connect to smb shares ... If you have any suggestions please advise. Thank you.

Options
2021-08-25 12:03:47

@isk43 

Sorry, I do not know Linux.

I know it can be done. Maybe someone else can help you.

May want to check out https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=57201

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 591

Replies: 3