Couple of questions about the Archer AX90?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-28 13:40:49
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I was interested in the AX90 esp for its built-in OpenVPN feature.

My questions are - does the VPN function act as a replacement for firmware such as dd-wrt; can I install a static IP configuration file and have all my home network, IoT devices etc all proxied without having to install a vpn client on each device individually?

Second questions concernes range extenders - is there any range extender which is particularly well suited to work with the AX90? 

Last question - The home shield sounds great - will the protection also cover any tp-link range extenders too?

Thanks in advance for any input

Options
2 Reply
Re:Couple of questions about the Archer AX90?
2021-08-28 17:57:56

@VSK-11 

A VPN is not like dd-wrt. DD-wrt is like the user interface that comes on the router from the manufacturer.  When you install a VPN on the router is does cover all devices.

See https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/should-i-use-a-vpn-on-my-router for more info on the subject as it can cause some issues.

You can use any range extender however if the router you get supports MESH and you want to use MESH, then you need an extender that supports it also.

See https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/product-list/ for a list of MESH supported devices.

I am not 100% sure about home shield but would think so since the extender and it devices are in the router pool of devices.

Options
Re:Couple of questions about the Archer AX90?
2021-08-28 18:10:43

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i'm no expert but it's 'flashing' the router to be able to replace the native firmware with dd-wrt, tomato etc. I have done this before, mostly because I really needed options that allowed installation of a VPN - ideally openVPN client on the router itself so that I don't have to monkey around hoping that my smart home stuff have apps that support openvpn configurations (most of them don't) - this is why I am particularly happy to learn of the AX90 - it allows this without needing to worry about buggyness of third-party software or compatability with third-party firewalls. I actually find its features impressive for a consumer / prosumer grade router/firewall. The homeshield is like icing on the cake. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 2

Related Articles