Looking to Buy a new router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-13 06:06:02
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi 
Hope you are doing well.
I am new here and I need some information. I want to buy a new router. In my room Wi-Fi signal strength is to much weak and just due to this problem I am unable to do work on my project which is related to labour hire services. Can you recommend me a good router that can extend signal strength? I am also ready to buy a expensive one. Waiting for your recommendations. Thank You. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Looking to Buy a new router
2021-09-13 20:31:43

There are a lot of good choices out there but selecting the best one varys with the network and your needs.

Some things to look for.

Get one that is fairly new but does not need to be the latest one.

Since you old router has 100 WAN port, I assume you have a slow internet speed from your ISP. In any case, do get one with WAN and LAN Gigabit ports or greater.

Check to see if it has all the options you need such as port forwarding, USB ports, enough LAN ports, VPN, Parental controls, WPA3, ....

If your devices support AX or plan to get some in the foreseeable future, get an AX one. Also an AX one helps future proof you.

Most routers have the same WIFI power due to limits placed by FCC for the US and others for other countries. Some do a better job at distance than others. AX Routers tend to do a better job.

If security is a big issue and you can support WPA3, then op for one that has it. Note that is the past, TP Link has in the past posted future planned enhancements for routers and then later not deliver, so get one that currently has it.  See https://www.tp-link.com/us/wpa3/product-list/

If the distance is great between where the router has to be and the workstation, you may want to consider an Extender or a MESH system. The Extender works okay if there is one area that has issues, just be sure to place it closer to the router than the devices. A MESH system is great if you have a very large area to cover. I prefer the Deco MESH system over setting up OneMesh (router and an extender with OneMesh capabilities).  I use a router (Archer C8) and a TP Link extender neither has OneMesh to help cover a dead area in my network. When connected to the extender, it is slower than if connected to the router. I have 200 service, so it is not a big deal for me.

Get it from a company that has a good return policy so if the one you select does not work out, you can return it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 359

Replies: 1

Related Articles