Slow download speeds over C4000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-30 22:25:57
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(5553)

I have always had slow speeds and have replaced routers and cable modems for years.  My neighbor right next door get consistant download speeds from his cell phone in my driveway of 950mbps.  I bought the exact cable modem and router he has and also have the same internet package which is comcast 1200mbps.  I run speed tests on hardwire windows laptops and see anything from 150-400mbps.  I also see the same speeds on over WIFI on 5ghz.  I have also had comcast out multiple times and they always say the speed is fine with their tool they use.

I have even taken my cable modem directly to the pole coming out of the ground and connected it there with extension cord to bypass the line from pole to the house and still get the same speeds.  I manually set the QOS to 1200 down and 200 up but made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks for any input.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow download speeds over C4000
2021-10-01 00:39:59

@SteveButabi 

If you bypass the router and connect a PC direct to the modem and get the same slow speeds, it is not the router. It is  the modem, wires, or ISP. Check the modem logs.  

Since you tried at the pole, I would suspect the ISP or modem. The ISP checked it and all was okay and if that is the case, then the modem is suspect. 

what model and brand modem do you have?

How many up and down channels are you getting from Comcast?

options are:

Get the Comcast modem/router gateway and prove the speed is good.

Get a another modem from a company that has a good return policy and see it that corrects the issue.

Options
2021-10-01 14:18:32

@ArcherC8   The modem is a Netgear CM 1000.  I have taken the modem directly to the laptop and get the same speed also though.

Options
2021-10-01 20:45:16

@SteveButabi 

When you sign on to the modem, how many channels do you up and down? That modem can have up to 32x8. See if your Neighbor has the same.

For reference, I have Xfinity (Comcast) in central Fl and get 32x5 on my modem.

Since you are only as fast as the slowest link, you need to resolve the loss before it gets to the router.

I suspect the ISP Comcast. Post your issue at https://forums.xfinity.com/

Let us know what you find.

Options
2021-10-01 22:09:59

@ArcherC8   So mine has 31 downstream locked and 5 upstream locked.  I'll have to see if my neighbor knows his  login info to check his.

Options