Feature request - SQM built into Deco firmware, not just QOS

Feature request - SQM built into Deco firmware, not just QOS

46 Reply
Re:Feature request - SQM built into Deco firmware, not just QOS
2024-03-04 17:32:11 - last edited 2024-03-04 17:32:33

This was never going to happen. The CPUs in these Deco units could never do SQM at any meaningful speed.

Suggest people move to other software and hardware supporting OpenWRT.

Options
2024-03-04 18:06:37

@Thrill Agreed, my TP-Link router has been consigned to being an extra WAP and I'm now using a Raspberry Pi 4B with an extra gigabit USB3 adapter to act as my primary router. That means I can use the "Cake" SQM, the best one available. Consumers should separate the router and wifi functions into individual boxes. 

Options
2024-03-04 18:28:40

@Thrill I don't know enough to evaluate that assebut lack of responsive is sufficiently disqualifying for me. 

Options
2024-03-13 20:31:24
@TP-Link - you replied positively to this a little over 2 years ago, and nothing since. I have a Deco BE33000 network, all connected via Ethernet to the base, with my most important systems connected via 2.5Gb+ Ethernet, with an internet connection capable of 1.7 Gbps, and "unladen" latency as low as 15ms, with laden in the 60ms-70ms range. Yet Bufferbloat tests all give me a bad result (Waveform's Bufferbloat test gives me a C or worse. With many packets at 300ms or worse.) Please add SQM, the latest hardware should be more than capable of it.
Options
2024-03-13 21:34:08

@SpiderLAN On Starlink the bufferbloat issue is serious. TP-Link please will you add SQM. I use a PX50 and this has enough power to utilise SQM.

Options
2024-03-17 21:16:02

I now use a Raspberry Pi 4 as my router. You can choose from a number of different operating systems that work well for routing. I'm using the standard Raspberry Pi OS, but you can also use OpenWRT and DDWRT. You'll need a second Ethernet port. I use the Bicool one based on the RTL8153 chipset. Mind you, I'd happily buy an off-the-shelf solution like TP-Link if it gave me the same options to flash such powerful firmware. It would be great for my less tech-savvy relatives. 

Options
Related Articles