Changing Network Name - Deco S4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-30 18:39:52 - last edited 2021-11-30 19:00:04
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210607 Rel. 56436

I just set up my new Deco S4 mesh system, and realized I may have made a mistake during setup.

My goal was to increase connectivity through my apartment, but not necessarily create a new network.  I currently have an AT&T BGW320 modem+router unit.  I set up the Deco S4 units, and created a new network (didn't think to try using the same name as the existing network from my AT&T BGW320).  After setting it up, I saw that there is an Access Point mode, which to my understanding would just enhance the existing network connectivity throughout my apartment.

Currently I have Network A (provided by my AT&T modem+router unit) and Network B (provided by Deco S4).  I'm wondering if it is possible to just set my Deco S4 to Access Point mode and rename Network B to be the same as Network A, which would leave me with one network: Network A (provided by AT&T modem+router and "extended" by Deco S4)

EDIT 1: I've gone ahead and attempted this and it appeared to work; however, my PC over wifi to the BGW320 was getting 500+ download (I have a nice wireless adapter), and now I'm only getting around 190 download.  I noticed the same speed when I ran some tests connecting to Network B before changing the SSID.  Any ideas why this might be happening?

EDIT 2: Based on what I've said in EDIT 1, would I encounter any issues by just running my Deco S4 in router mode with a different SSID (back to Network A and Network B) and turning on IP Passthrough on my BGW320?  That way I could still preserve my speed on my PC, but still have the increased connectivity for other devices on Network B.  Essentially, only my PC and close-proximity devices would be on Network A and all other devices (the majority of them) would be on Network B.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Changing Network Name - Deco S4
2021-11-30 22:29:23

@smoggy 

What you are asking is to link the two networks together and have them act as one network.  Sadly that is not possible in this situation.  The network created by your AT&T gateway will always be seperate from the network created by the Deco.  In giving them the same SSID and password will only lead to network connectivity issues.  Your clients will not know which network to connect to, or will constantly switch between the two or just simply not connect at all.  In situations like this where a gateway device is involved there are two solutions. 

1.  Disable the router and wireless functions of the Gateway making it just a modem.  Then setup Deco as a router (in router mode) and have it act as your network's router and wireless AP. 

2.  If you are not able to disable the routing function or choose not to, then the solution would be to disable your gateway's wireless function.  Then place the Deco in AP mode and have it act solely as your network's Wireless AP.  These are basically the only two options you should be considering.  

Running both devices as router has a serious impact on your network reliablity and connectivity.  Also having two APs in the same network enviroment can also create service impatcting wireless interference.  Both of which are not ideal for a stable enviroment. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 666

Replies: 1