Can't get IP address from Arris SBG6900-AC modem (Xfinity ISP) to Archer A8 router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't get IP address from Arris SBG6900-AC modem (Xfinity ISP) to Archer A8 router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-09 05:18:56 - last edited 2021-12-16 07:14:24
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I was originally using my Arris SBG6900-AC modem as my router too with Xfinity and it was working fine.  However, I purchased the Archer A8 because I wanted to set up a "one mesh" network with my TP-Link range extender.

I changed my Arris SBG6900-AC to "bridge mode" so it just acts just as a modem, and if I connect my laptop, via ethernet cable, directly to my modem the internet works fine.

My issue is when I then connect my modem to my Archer A8 router; I'm not able to pass the IPv6 address that Xfinity provides to my router.  Under my Archer A8's web interface, I cloned my modem's MAC address because I read this could fix my issue but I still have 0.0.0.0 showing as the IP address on the router.

My modem's MAC address still works properly from Xfinity when connected directly to modem, so I don't think it's a MAC binding issue or else I wouldn't have internet and I even cloned to the same MAC address as the modem on my router so Xfinity shouldn't be blocking anything.

Is there anything else I can do to try and resolve this issue?  

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't get IP address from Arris SBG6900-AC modem (Xfinity ISP) to Archer A8 router?-Solution
2021-12-10 16:57:49 - last edited 2021-12-16 07:14:24

Some how I got it working, I ended up checking ON the "Get IP with Unicast DHCP" check box and then did a couple more power cycles and the router finally got the WAN IP address from my Arris modem.  Hopefully, this helps someone else having this issue.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't get IP address from Arris SBG6900-AC modem (Xfinity ISP) to Archer A8 router?
2021-12-10 00:31:15
Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Can't get IP address from Arris SBG6900-AC modem (Xfinity ISP) to Archer A8 router?
2021-12-10 04:29:57

@Carl I tried the steps in that post but doesn't seem to work.  The internet remains orange/red and doesn't show green.  I then tried the same steps as before by cloning MAC address and release/renew IP address but it continues to show 0.0.0.0.

I don't understand why the IP address isn't getting passed on to the router, could it be because Xfinity provides me an IPv6 address instead of IPv4?

Thank you!

Options
Re:Can't get IP address from Arris SBG6900-AC modem (Xfinity ISP) to Archer A8 router?-Solution
2021-12-10 16:57:49 - last edited 2021-12-16 07:14:24

Some how I got it working, I ended up checking ON the "Get IP with Unicast DHCP" check box and then did a couple more power cycles and the router finally got the WAN IP address from my Arris modem.  Hopefully, this helps someone else having this issue.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1076

Replies: 3

Related Articles