Internet speed extremely low

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-09 15:14:33
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

One year ago I purchased a new router (Archer C6 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Router) to replace my very old Frontier router. The Frontier router had been giving me a consistent download speed of 25 - 35 Mbps but my Xfinity plan at the time was supposedly giving me 60Mbps so I hoped I could squeeze out a little more speed and have room for growth. However after following the setup instructions, the new router delivered speeds which were actually lower so I went back to the Frontier router. Recently I upgraded my Xfinity plan to 600Mbps so I decided to give the TP Link router another try. In order to be sure that I did not have any invalid settings from the previous use, I set the router back to Factory default settings and used the tether app to set up the router. After doing so, the speed measured at 8.4 Mbps!!! On some tests it measured a little higher, but never more than 15 Mbps. I clearly cannot use the router if it is only giving me single digit speeds. I reset the modem and the router multiple times hoping that it would clear the problem to no avail. I went back to my ancient Frontier router and am getting 50 Mbps which is probably the old router's upper limit.. Does anyone have any ideas why I would be having this problem? After resetting to factory defaults, I followed all instructions in the tether app and received the "Enjoy the Internet!" message after completing setup. It's a great disappointment, to say the least.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Internet speed extremely low
2021-12-10 00:30:12

@Liam5x5 

Hello Liam.  There are a few things you need to look at, and test.  

1.  Plug a laptop or PC into one of the Yellow ports on the router and run a speed test.

2.  Bypass the router and connect to your modem and run a speed test

3.  While connected to the modem open a web browser and type in 192.168.100.1 in the address bar to log into the modem.  Check the connection.

•  Downstream channels should be locked with an power level on each between -12 and 12 and an SNR between 30 and 50
  • Channel should not be taking errors.
  • If the levels are off or you see errors call the ISP.

4.  check the modem logs and make sure there are no T3 or T4 errors.  These indicate a line issue that requires the ISP to send a line tech to the plant to fix.

5.  Reconnect the router, though you may need to follow these steps:  https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/150603 if you do not get a connection back.  

6.  Once reconnected test wireless speed on 5GHz at the router and then 10 feet away.  Make sure there are no obstructions.  

Let us know the results. 

Options
2021-12-10 17:49:11

@Carl 

Thank you for your response. The speeds that I provided earlier corresponded to a direct ethernet connection to my PC located approximately 7 feet from the router and modem. Both the direct and wifi download speeds measured between 8 and 17 Mbps. Connecting directly to the modem resulted in a download speed of 84 Mbps. All of the downstream channels were locked with power and signal ratings in the acceptable range. The log indicated seven pairs of the following errors:

Notice (6)   Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6 
Critical (3)   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=fc:4a:e9:32... 

After reconnecting the router, speeds remained in the 8 to 17 range at the router and 10 feet away. Reconnecting my old Frontier router brought the download speed back to 55 Mbps.

Options
2021-12-13 17:41:12

@Liam5x5 

Although the speeds improved 7 pairs of T3 errors is defiantly something you would want to address with the ISP.  That does indicate there is a line issue that you would like to address.  Another thing to consider is the DNS addresses.  These control how traffic routes and can vary from device to device.  So the old router and modem can be using different DNS address than the Archer A6

Log into the router and try the following 5 steps.  When you input the DNS for primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 419

Replies: 3