Ethernet cable from one Deco S4 (not main) to my laptop does not provide internet sevice!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ethernet cable from one Deco S4 (not main) to my laptop does not provide internet sevice!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-14 20:28:57 - last edited 2021-12-15 14:34:01
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 build 20210607 rel. 56436

I just installed my 3 pack Deco S4 mesh system today . Main node is on the second floor attached to my T-Mobile gateway with ethernet cable. The secon is placed on the first floor and the last one is the basement. All 3 are providing wifi without the issues. Here's my question:

Deco S4 node is next to my laptop in the basement. I can connect to my gateway thru Deco wirelessly. the speed is very good. When I use an ethernet cable from my laptop to this Deco, I get no internet!! I am assuming the speed should be even better with ethernet cable if it works. I used the bottom port on Deco. No luck. Do I need to check network settings on laptop or Deco? 

In the past, an ethernet cable from this laptop to gateway worked. Now, I am using a better cable. I believe it is cat5e. Ist it possible my 8 year old Asus laptop won't accept this newer cable? The old cable was cat5.

If I connect this cat5e cable to top port on Deco, will it work?

Thanks for future responses.

The operating mode on Deco is router. Now, two routers and 2 networks. Is this cauising double NAT and my issue?

I am not familiar with these terms, and still learning,

Please don't pay attention to model AC500. The list didn't give me AC1200. (The box shows AC1200 Deco S4)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ethernet cable from one Deco S4 (not main) to my laptop does not provide internet sevice!-Solution
2021-12-15 01:03:23 - last edited 2021-12-15 14:34:01

@skoy64 

Quite honestly it doesn't really matter.  In Router mode the Deco provides the IPs and does the routing for the devices connected to it.  In AP mode all the Deco provides is the access whether that be wired or wireless and the T-Mobile gateway does the IP and routing.  When you have both working as a router it is possible to experience lag, speed and connectivity issues as your traffic from the clients on the Deco is being translated twice.  

I will say this the old saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" can apply.  If you aren't having any issues there is no reason to make changes but if you are then you may want to consider these suggestions.  Because you are seeing issues with one computer I would suggest removing the Double NAT from the equation.  

Thinking about it one thing on the computer to check is search for and open the Control Panel.  Then open on Network and Internet.  Then open Network and Sharing Center.  From here click on Change Adapter Settings.  Look at the Ethernet adapter and make sure its Enabled.  If it is you can right click on it and click on diagnosis to see if windows can detect an issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Ethernet cable from one Deco S4 (not main) to my laptop does not provide internet sevice!
2021-12-14 22:16:13

@skoy64 

So Double NAT refers to when you have one private network connected to another.  If your T-Mobile gateway is creating its own wired and wireless network then when you attach the Deco to it in router mode you would have a Double NAT enviroment.  What happens in a Double NAT enviroment is data in the 2nd network (Deco) has to be translated twice before it goes out to the internet.  This can affect gaming, streaming, port forwarding, as well as speed and connectivity.  It does not typically stop a device from getting an address.  

The best way to address and test this would be to put the Deco in AP mode and then test the LAN connect to this computer.  In AP mode there is only one network.  If this works then the double NAT was likely the issue and you would want to keep AP active.  If you do this though I would suggest disabling wireless on the T-Mobile gateway.  This way you don't have two wireless network competting for the network space

Options
Re:Ethernet cable from one Deco S4 (not main) to my laptop does not provide internet sevice!
2021-12-14 22:32:10

@Carl Thanks for your super fast response. As you see with my thread, my knowledge of network and how everything works is quite limited! I don't even know what the symptoms are if double NAT is causing issues. Slow internet?

If I use mesh system as access point do I still need to disable wifi on gateway? I thought I need to disable that if I use the first Deco S4 node as a router. I do not need all the features Deco mesh offers. All I care about is minimizing the speed loss when I use wifi. 

Having a Deco S4 satellite already made a huge difference. Before that I had a TpP-Link range extender on the first floor. Mesh is giving me a better speed than extender.

Cheers friend.

Options
2021-12-15 00:07:30

@skoy64 

No worries this is what the community forum is intended for.   So the differences between router and AP mode is in AP the only features that are enabled are the wireless and guest networks.  All advanced and router features are disabled.  

If you have to use the Gateway, and bieng a mobile gateway from T-Mobile i assume you do, then you would want to disable the Gateway's wireless.  While not offically required it is recommended as the two systems having wireless can cause interference with each other.  If they aren't now then don't worry about it, just be aware if they do it would be one thing to try. 

Options
2021-12-15 00:18:32

@Carl thank you kindly. In your opinion, what gives a better (speed and reliability wise) internet connection to computers and streaming to tvs? Deco working as a router or Deco as an access point? Do I use Deco as access point because I am (or any deco user) having issues with main deco being a router?

As I mentioned before I have 2 simple wishes.

1- Reliable wifi all over the house (It seems Deco units are already working better than my TP-Link range extender (which was decent.))

2- Having ethernet cable between basement deco and old laptop providing me Internet.

I am currently updating Windows 10 on Asus laptop. After restarting laptop, I will switch the operating mode from router to AP with Deco iphone app and see what happens.

I will report here tomorrow.

Options
Re:Ethernet cable from one Deco S4 (not main) to my laptop does not provide internet sevice!-Solution
2021-12-15 01:03:23 - last edited 2021-12-15 14:34:01

@skoy64 

Quite honestly it doesn't really matter.  In Router mode the Deco provides the IPs and does the routing for the devices connected to it.  In AP mode all the Deco provides is the access whether that be wired or wireless and the T-Mobile gateway does the IP and routing.  When you have both working as a router it is possible to experience lag, speed and connectivity issues as your traffic from the clients on the Deco is being translated twice.  

I will say this the old saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" can apply.  If you aren't having any issues there is no reason to make changes but if you are then you may want to consider these suggestions.  Because you are seeing issues with one computer I would suggest removing the Double NAT from the equation.  

Thinking about it one thing on the computer to check is search for and open the Control Panel.  Then open on Network and Internet.  Then open Network and Sharing Center.  From here click on Change Adapter Settings.  Look at the Ethernet adapter and make sure its Enabled.  If it is you can right click on it and click on diagnosis to see if windows can detect an issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-15 14:33:00

@Carl 

Good morning. yes, I switched from router to AP. interestingly, Deco network still exists. Every device is working fine. Regarding my laptop's ethernet connection issues, I investigated little bit yesterday. Windows 10's control panel network settings showed ethernet adapter was enabled. I tried 3 different cat5e cables. None worked. I unplugged the last one from laptop and Deco satellite. I tried again. It came alive!! I realized the ethernet cable's end (to laptop port) was upside down!surprise

It seemed to fit perfectly but not making the usual clicking sound! My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be.cool

Thanks for the help.

Options
2021-12-15 17:03:31

@skoy64 

I'm just glad it was a simple fix.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1067

Replies: 7