Is the APP required to use HomeCare on the TP-Link AX6600 WiFi 6 router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-16 16:00:41
Model: Archer GX90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I currently have an AC5400/Archer C5400x router that does everything I need it to including Parental Controls without a cloud account and a app.  I am trying to help a friend with a home network setup and we started with the AX5400/Archer AX73 router, but soon found out that its a no-go because it requires the use of the tether app to do any of the parental controls... so we are returning this model.

The question is... can we use the AX6600/Archer GX90 router with HomeCare without the use of the app?  We want to control everything within the router and without any cloud account setup or app.  As "convenient" as the app may be for some, that isn't what we hoping for.  If the new Archer GX90 acts similar to my older Archer C5400x HomeCare, then that will be perfect.  

I love TP-Link network products and I own and use a variety of them all the time, but I was really bummed when I came across the HomeSheild requiring the use of an account and app when all I want to do is block some IP's from accessing the internet. 

Thanks so much for your help! smiley

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is the APP required to use HomeCare on the TP-Link AX6600 WiFi 6 router?
2021-12-16 18:21:23

@Zracer15 

Yes, to use HomeCare you will need the Tether app.   The service sometime ago was move exclusively to the app so the interface that was available older models like the Archer C5400 v2 is no longer available.  There is no cost to use Tether or HomeCare but Tether will require a TP-Link ID account to be created.  

Options
Re:Is the APP required to use HomeCare on the TP-Link AX6600 WiFi 6 router?
2021-12-16 21:10:01

@Carl Thank you for the quick reply.  That is unfortunate to hear.  We don't like the idea of a cloud service/account having to be used to manage something simple like blocking an IP's internet access.  So with that, I will try and find an older router that supports it or look for different options available out there. 

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 2

Related Articles