TP kit drops bandwidth and after two days

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-22 23:00:30
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Bought this kit brand new and I've suffered problems with it.  My landlord previously purchased a Devolo powerline kit but that created jitter when watching movies hence the change to TP Link.  I was running an AV600 at the Plusnet router and a TP-Link wireless router at the other end one floor up and it's been quite fine.  We took out the Devolos and put in the TP Kit where the TP Link router was replaced by a Linksys network switch and the AV600 coming into the room was replaced by the small powerline plug from the kit and the bigger extender AV1000 on the landing.  Cloned the Plusnet Router SSID and labelled the 5G seperately.  Then the problems began, we was getting good speeds and then the 5G would suddently drop to 1Mb bandwidth and I was unable to access it via IP address to do anything.  So it was reset and everything came back up only to go back down days later.  So I've done the following where this result has been the mainstay of the network

Changed the 5G SSID to the same as the 4G - No change to the problem, my laptop would access the 4G on restart and I'd get good signal but dropped after a few days when the laptop started using the 5G.

Removed the AV600 from the Plusnet router and exchanged it for the small plug from the kit thus putting the AV600 local to my Linksys switch - According to the TP-Link PCL map, I was getting red lines of circa 11Mbps to 23Mbps to and from the small plug but everywhere else on the network was around 450Mbps, even the longest distance was 250Mbps but it still died a few days later.  So the AV600 was put back and connected to the Plusnet and no joy, the red line stayed at 23Mbps but remained in one direction only.

So far, I have disabled the 5G SSID radio to see whether it decides to die again on the 4G or stay fine.  As far as the network is concerned, my next option if it doesn't is return the WPA Kit back to the store, keep the AV600s and buy wireless routers to connect to them.  Under the believe that these powerline wifis can't do two things at once but I know a non-wifi powerline is absolutely fine as I have been running them in line with a router for years and had no problems at all.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP kit drops bandwidth and after two days
2021-12-27 06:59:34

I have tp-link device adaptors but i really tried to reconnect this for my PC but not doing this how was do it again kindly help me find more info here  and many more thank you 

Options
2021-12-29 11:29:32

@Trevster 

Thank you for your detailed post, it's a bit hard for me get the network map.

1. May do you have a TP-Link  AV1000 Kit + TP-Link AV600 Kit, what are the model & hardware version

2. Can you help describe the network layout in the house:    e.g.  Upstairs: Plusnet router -AV600 ___AV600 -Linksys switch --PC 

When issue happens,  does the House Led goes OFF or stay on when issue happens 

If Powerline device has some stable issue, here are some tips that you could give it a try: 
1. Ensure your Powerline Kit  are on the latest firmware: 
Firmware for TL-WPA7617 : https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa7617-kit/#Firmware
Firmware for TL-PA7017 : https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-pa7017p-kit/#Firmware

2. Please refer to guide here to do some basic troubleshooting: 

What should I do if connection is not stable when the device is connected to TP-Link Powerline Adapter?

3. May I know do you use the old kit with new kit use AV600 kit alone, it is recommended to test new KIT only to help exclude the issue.

Options
2021-12-29 13:35:37

@Solla-topee 

It is a WPA kit where they are AV1000s so one powerline paired to the extender.

I've now since removed them and returned them back to Amazon.

So as per the TP PLC app, it will show that the AV600 that goes into the Plusnet router will have 11Mbps one way but near 135Mbps the other way from the WPA kit or other powerlines which are also AV600s.  Yes there is a red LED because it's under 50Mbps.  But I'm not too bothered about that as the speed test.net bandwidth only has a minimal effect.  At the plusnet router, I'd get 28Mbps but from anywhere else, I'll get 25Mpbs ish depending on usage.  There are 6 of us living there.

But anyway, the next thing that has happened now was the 5G off the extender was crashing the network so I was getting a severe reduction down to 0.2Mbps.  Turned off the 5G and the extender simply failed to work on the 2G days later.  So every change I'd make, would work for at least 3 days and then won't work.  I've plugged the WPA kit into the plusnet router, that made the problem worse as the powerline plug would red line outgoing and incoming on the TP app but the rest of the network would be green and circa 400Mbps.  So the WPA kit was repositioned and the AV600 plug was put back at the plusnet router....but yea, 2 to 3 days and failure.  So when the whole extender failed to work.  I removed the WPA kit and fitted another AV600 powerline because I know they work, fitted a TP link 2x TL-420N wireless routers where one is in access point mode and the other is in repeater mode because the residents were complaining.  I do plan on getting 3 X AV1000 powerline plugs because the throughput to the AV600 might be better and remove the red line but also I want to use the electricity more so the router that's a repeater, I'll put a AV1000 with that router and that'll be another access point.  So far I'm getting a bit more bandwidth than before.

The thing is, I have to be picky with what manufacturer to use.  Linksys routers would have been preferable because they had a booming signal but bought a new one these days and it creates jitter.  I already mentioned about the Devolo, netgrear, I haven't tried yet so because I'm getting more mileage out TP-Link products then I'll keep to them for now.

Network layout yes

Three floors

Bottom floor, plusnet router, kitchen in the back, two rooms with an AV600,

Middle floor, three rooms, AV600 connected to 420N wireless access point, further across the middle landing, another 420N wireless router repeater.  Top floor, one room, nothing there, she camps off the two middle floor 420N routers of her choice.

When I had the WPA kit, they were on the middle floor.

Options
2021-12-31 17:42:04

Put in the AV1000s and that cleared up the red lines.  Next is the two routers and some confusion with the speedtests.  I have an xbox and a laptop on the router LAN and a mobile wifi'd into the same router.  According to speedtest, I'll get 14 - 20 Mbps on the laptop, same again on the xbox then 9Mbps on the mobile phone though only the xbox is playing Destiny 2.  I find that these internet speed testing just gives tunnel vision and creates whining with the others in the house.....lol.  We'll see how it performs after a month.

Options