tpPLC shows good speed between adapters but actual download speed is much less

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 16:30:26 - last edited 2022-01-10 16:32:03
Model: TL-PA7017 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_701E14_190426_901

Hi

I have 1gbps fibre broadband and am using the TP Link PA-7017. When I connect my laptop directly to my router using a cat6 cable the max download speed is generally around 600 mbps (I am following up on this with my broadband provider). I can see in the tpPLC utility that the max speed is being retained well across my Powerline adapters, see below.

6747b052f7164f1da3be05a2f0861329

I am using a cat6 cable (2m long) to connect my laptop to the top right adapter in the picture (device-9101). I can see that the negotiated network speed on my laptop is 1gbps, see below

36570250bf354fec9a4df4e346047072

Bbut my actual download speed is far lower. Generally it's only 120-150 mbps. So it seems like I'm losing 70-80% of the speed between the laptop and the adapter. I have tested this with two laptops and a cat5e and a cat6 ethernet cable. I have tested it when the adapters are both plugged into sockets in the same room. I have tested it without the 27A0 device. None of these changes has any effect on my download speeds. There are no other devices also downloading data at the same time.

Any suggestions on where the speed is being lost are appreciated. I have read the articles about factors that can affect the download speed but dropping from 550+ mpbs to around 130 seems like a big drop?

Thanks

David

Options
1 Reply
Re:tpPLC shows good speed between adapters but actual download speed is much less
2022-01-11 00:13:35

@db29 

Hi David,  The speed you see in the PLC utility is the link rate, this is the rate at what the adapters are communicating with each other.  They are not the internet speed though.  The internet speed has several factors you have to look at.  This includes distance between adapters. The load and noise on the electrical lines that is created by items plugged in to your home's power, including major appliances not connected to surge protectors.  Also how many hops a connection between adapters takes.  

This thread might help explain the lower speeds.  

To troubleshoot to see if its related to the adapters or the home is move the remote adapter into the same room but a different outlet on the same wall.  Test the speeds.  If they are good move the adapter to the next room and retest.  Keep repeating this test until speeds begin to drop and that will tell you where to look for the interference point or what needs to be "filtered" with a surge protector.  

If they remain poor in the same room then it could be the adapter but i would suggest reaching out to our support team for your area so they can add additionally troubleshooting and help with warranty should they be defective.  

Also something else to consider this particular community is specifically for the US region.  We can help with common questions but this community is for all regions outside of the US

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1248

Replies: 1