Impossible Restrictions on Connected USB Drives

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 18:34:18
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20210719 rel.14861(5553)

The Archer AX11000 router does an excellent job performing its primary function of hosting an Ethernet and wireless LAN. It provides a strong Wi-Fi signal to every corner of my 2200 sq. ft. two story home.

However, this router has serious shortcomings when using the included Media Sharing feature (DLNA). Previous TP-Link routers let one designate which folders can be accessed via Samba and also independently specify folders of media to be shared by Media Server.  (Samba is the software protocol for accessing files on a server.) This router (that is, the firmware running on the router) does not allow for this. Any given folder on an attached USB drive is either shared for both purposes or for neither. The firmware also places a limit of 9,999 files which can be shared by the media server. Since I have over 50,000 files that I wish to keep in my backup folders, I could not have the router serve my few hundred media files and have my backup files (accessible via Samba) resident on the USB drive concurrently. It also seems to be the case that this router has problems with USB disks over 4TB. (My WD USD HDD is 6TB.) None of the techs I worked with seemed to be aware of these restrictions until they consulted with their engineers, which was a tedious and time-consuming process. I have abandoned my attempt to use the included Media Sharing capability of this router. Instead, I have resurrected my replaced ASUS RT-AC66U B1 router and am using that, along with a 5TB USB HDD, as the media server on my LAN. All this wasted about a week of my time. I did request that TP-Link fix this issue, which I suspect would require only new firmware.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Impossible Restrictions on Connected USB Drives
2022-01-14 17:45:22

@RenoRuss 

I had our QA team look into this and the information we were provided is the following:

Regarding the 10k file restriction.  This is valid.  There is a limit on files set to 10K this is to avoid memory usage issues.

Regarding the drive size limitations:  There are no such limitations.  We have tested with drives up to 8TB and had no issues.  Could you share information related to the partition of your dirve and how it is formatted?  

Unfortunatly the limitation on file is drive specific so even if you set multiple partitions it would still be a single 10k limit.  I've been told we can supply you with a beta firmware that removes this limiation but you would not be able to upgrade to other firmware after.  To be honest a NAS server would likely be the best apporach to your concerns.  With that ammount of files that you have on your backup that would potentially provide you the most secure apporach of storage and access.  Though that is just want I would suggest.  

Options
2022-01-14 18:28:22

@Carl 

Thanks for your response. I have no proof that drive size was an issue. It's just that when I tested the Media Sharing with only a single MKV file (H265) on a very small USB Flash drive (4GB), it worked OK, after about 30 minutes. But when I tested it with the same file on my 6TB USB UDD, even after letting it sit overnight, none of my media players could see a DLNA server on the AX11000. (Both drives were NTFS formatted.) I then surmised that the drive size might be an issue.

Carl, I would welcome a firmware upgrade which would allow me to to independently specify which folders to share via Samba, versus those to be shared by Media Server. I know that TP-Link previously sold routers (example: Archer C7 V2/V3) which did this. I am pleading for that functionality to be ported to the Archer AX11000.

Options
2022-01-17 18:05:39

@RenoRuss 

I'll share this with the QA team to see what we can do.  I do know on older routers that the Media share was based on Samba V1.  As we know MS by default now disables Samba V1, it can be restored but manually.  I can not say if the AX11000 is using Samba or why the change but i will include that in the request.  

As for the frimware I do not know if it will allow seperate folder selection.  They mentioned that it would remove the 10K file limit.  So i will ask about that as well. 

Options
2022-01-17 18:38:07

@RenoRuss 

Thanks, Carl! I will await your reply.

Options
2022-05-03 04:21:56

@RenoRuss 

Just got AX6000...after 2 hours of frustration, I then realize that the TP-SHare limitations is total BS for such an advanced router!   I tried to connect a 4 drive NAS via USB port and 3 drives on a USB-C hub but never could see more than 3 drives!   I chatted with online tech and they were CLUELESS!    I then suspected that there were limitations but did not know the reason.   My Linksys WRT3200ACM could share ALL 7 drives and assign folders and names!  

TP-Link AX6000 has some weird name assignments like "g" that you cannot change...wut kind of bullshite is this?

So instead of selling my WRT3200, I HAD to use it a BRIDGE and plug all my USB drives to it.   Luckily, I had enough outlets on my surge protector!

THis is UTTER FAILURE on TP-Link and the excuse that limits were place for performance reasons is laughable.  My WRT3200 works flawless streaming and data transfers to all 7 drives at Gig LAN speeds up to 112 MBps.   The ONLY reason I switched to TP=link is for the 8 LAN ports and AX.

There should be NO LIMITATIONS on USB drives attached to it or stupid 10k file limits! WTF are they smoking?

So now, I'm getting an ASUS router and should have from the start!  ASUS doesn't fukc around....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1117

Replies: 5