How to set up a ASUS roter on a repeater mode for AX11000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 19:09:39
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20210719 rel.14861(5553)

I recently replace my ASUS router with AX11000, I had a Asus RT-N12D1 that is configured on a repeater mode.

With the new AX11000, the ASUS RT-N12D1 is able to connect to the TP Link router but works for a couple of minutes and then drops the connection, not sure if AX11000 is cutting of the connection or what is happening. I tried configuring the RT-N12D1 on a static IP which did help either. Not sure how to set up a connection between ASUS RT-N12D1 and use it on a repeater mode. I cant use it on the Access point mode since i dont have a wired connection on my garage. I am using RT-N12D1 for connection the solaredge since it dosent support wifi. Let me know your thougths

Modem --> AX11000 <-- RT-N12D1 (Repeater) <-- Solaredge

Options
7 Reply
Re:How to set up a ASUS roter on a repeater mode for AX11000
2022-01-14 00:53:56 - last edited 2022-01-14 00:54:12

@Sateesh 

How far is this repeater from the router and is it placed in an open and unobstructed area with a strong signal?

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2022-01-14 12:39:37

@Carl There are no obstructions, The repeater is only about 20 ft away from the main TP link router, I was using this repeater with my old ASUS router for four years with no issues, Some settings or the configuration is making the repeater drop the connection to the TP Link router, When i run the repeater set up wizard i do see the asus repeater reporting to the main TP link router, I have a static IP configured and i do see traffic, but it drops the connection in 10 minutes and never connects back and defaults to its 192.168.1.1 ip address. I have configured TP link to use the 192.167. IP range.

Options
2022-01-14 16:03:45

@Sateesh 

When you installed the AX11000 did you set the network settings as the same as your previous router or did you set new settings for the SSID and Password.  Also just to confrim the extender was reset and reconfigured to connect to the AX11000.  Lastly have you reached out to Asus to check their end?  I understand that it worked previously but that was when you were also using an Asus router.  We do know that on another Asus product recently an update did break 2.4GHz legacy devices from working.  Just want to rule this all out before we dive deep into this on our end.

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2022-01-14 16:10:31

@Carl Yes, everything is same, the SSID, IP Range, the static IP of the repeater., and yes I did reran the repeater configuration, when i run the connection wizard, Asus repeater does see the TP link SSID and connects to it (I can also see the repeater on the client list on TP link and the traffic), Once the repeater restarts and if connect to the repeater SSID i can browse the web for around 5 minutes.

Options
2022-01-17 18:38:45

@Sateesh 

Other extender?   Okay that could be pointing to another potential concern then.  TP-Link extenders should not be connected (daisy chain) to the other extender.  This is fairly easy to do if the extender is broadcasting the same SSID as the host router.  I am pretty sure Asus is the same way as the technology behind extenders is the same.  I would suggest disconnecting the other extender when you connect the Asus extender to ensure its being connected to the Router.  After that you can repower the other extender.  If that does not help the only other thing I can suggest is contacting Asus and see if they have input for their device.  Everything from the AX11000 should be fine then.  Especially since you reset and reconfigured the extender using the same SSID shouldn't be an issue. 

Options
2022-01-17 19:31:04

@Carl I am confused, So on the repeater (Asus) should it contain the same SSID as of TP Link AX11000, Right not the SSID on the Asus is diff and the one on the TP link is diff, I actually dont need the wifi option on the asus, should i try disabling the wifi option on the asus and see if the ethernet alone works for me.

Options
2022-01-18 18:09:29

@Sateesh 

A repeater in the truest sence connects to the router's wireless and expands the coverage.  It can have the same SSID or a seperate one.  I usually recommend a seperate SSID because some devices that are inbetween the router and repeater may have a hard time knowing which AP to connect to so they hop constantly or just don't connect.  The results are the same though in that you have connection issues.  A seperate SSID will add the inconvience of manually connecting to a specific AP but solve this issue.  The 2nd concern which i was referring to is daisy chaining extenders.  This means when you have an extender and set up a 2nd one.  Instead of connecting the 2nd one to the router it gets configured and connected to the 1st extender.  Usually only a concern if using the same SSID.  The reason this is bad is extenders can only communicate in 1 direction at a time.  This means they are either communicating with the router or to the client.  This is why speeds to an extender are always slower than directly to a router.  When a 2nd extender is added that doubles this transmission time and further reduces speeds.   We typically recommend with muliple extenders to either switch to a Mesh system or have extenders in opposite sections of the home.    Does that help explian it a bit better?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1573

Replies: 7

Related Articles